Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calling all weirdo-fuzz heads! ESR Graphic Fuzz

Started by the3secondrule, April 20, 2013, 11:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

lars

This will be next on the list! It has about one of the lowest part counts for a fuzz pedal pcb:  Just a 741 op amp, 4 ceramic caps, and 4 carbon comp resistors. Would be a great test ground for different op-amps, I'm sure they would have a big affect on the sound given so few parts.

*A good note for this circuit* Some schematics and suggestions say that you need to keep the battery ground separate from the ground of the rest of the circuit. This is not how the original circuit is set up and will result in a noisy, ear-piercing whine. Pictures of the original circuit clearly show the battery ground going to a switched jack, which of course makes a connection with your guitar cable ground and the chassis when inserted.

selfdestroyer

jimilee

How much fuzz is too much fuzz before it becomes noise?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

raulduke

Quote from: lars on April 21, 2013, 12:13:31 AM
This will be next on the list! It has about one of the lowest part counts for a fuzz pedal pcb:  Just a 741 op amp, 4 ceramic caps, and 3 carbon comp resistors. Would be a great test ground for different op-amps, I'm sure they would have a big affect on the sound given so few parts.

Gotta be worth breadboarding with that number of components.

Another one to add to the list.... think I may be a fuzz addict :D

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bret608

Check out the recent comments over at tagboardeffects--looks like the power supply gives some issues with getting the circuit to work. Sounds like Jon Lyons and some others have gotten it to work, though.

Yeah, I like the sound too! Worth trying if there's a truly verified layout.

the3secondrule

I built the layout at the top of the FSB thread.

It works - just make sure you keep battery negative seperate from ground... i think there are some work-arounds to make it more daisy-chain friendly - haven't tried that yet.

it's cool. I'm getting more oscillation than in the demo above, it's not really noticeable while you are playing.

but when you stop playing - OW - that's piercing
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"