News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

silly mini build question

Started by octa805, April 24, 2013, 05:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

I have one of pickdroppers minimuffs I just completed.

stuffed that turkey into a 1590A.

I couldn't get it to work at first. Just audio-probed it and I get the full fuzzy fun signal coming all the way through the board, at the footswitch and even at the out jack when I put my probe on it.

I crammed the jacks in there so tight and they are not the enclosed ones so I had to do a bit of bending to get them to fit but man, it's real close.

is it fair to assume that when I put the plugs in the jacks and they expand slightly I'm likely getting some metal on metal contact which is why the signal will not come through the amp even though it's reaching the output jack per my audio probe?

pics would help. will do it when I'm off work.

thanks!

GermanCdn

Yes, you could be grounding out the leaf against the body.  Rotate your jacks so the leafs are parallel to the top of the enclosure and opposite each other, and you should be all right.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

octa805

I'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

I have them so tight in there next to each other, pots & footswitch it's hard to even see if they are grounding when all plugged in

juansolo

Yep, something's shorting there. Electrical tape is your friend. Certainly when there is a chance in a 1590A that a pot might spin and short I've put tape on the 'danger regions' of the enclosure. Likewise under the board above the pots if it might snag the jacks or on the lid if the can of the transistors might short against that. They're tight little buggers!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Does it work if you open the box and pull the board out so it clearly isn't touching anything?  If the wire lengths allow it, that would be the first thing I would try.

I'm generally a fan if closed jacks for mini builds.  They are usually a bit more expensive, but they provide a good mounting surface for the PCB.  I use them in all of my mini muff builds.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

octa805

Quote from: pickdropper on April 24, 2013, 06:25:56 PM
Does it work if you open the box and pull the board out so it clearly isn't touching anything?  If the wire lengths allow it, that would be the first thing I would try.

I'm generally a fan if closed jacks for mini builds.  They are usually a bit more expensive, but they provide a good mounting surface for the PCB.  I use them in all of my mini muff builds.

I haven't pulled it out yet but that it works w/ the audio probe on the output jack is good enough for me to validate it as ok.

This is my first time w/ the open jacks. Tis a bit of a bendy, weird mess in there right now. I for sure need to tape off quite a few things. Hoping that does the trick.

Thanks everyone!

(oh yea, then I'll have to make sure I can stuff it all the way in there!)

octa805

put some tape in there

bent some stuff

totally fixed. thanks everyone!

now I have to make it fit in the 1590 w/ the lid on. uh, yikes. mostly cuz I socketed the trannies.

built it to 71 triangle specs. I really like it but it seems to be not as heavy in volume as my standard Big Muff. Might just be the trannies. Playing with those does quite a bit.

anywho, I'll be swapping out trannies now. weeeeeee!!!!!!!!!