News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help with modifying pot throttle's value using resistors

Started by mikeny, April 19, 2013, 02:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeny

Hey guys. I looking for some help with a 3 wire pot throttle for a e-scooter. Below is what I have and what I'm looking for achieve.
The pot throttle has a 10K pot in it. It has a red, a black and a green wire.
Two of wires' resistance measured at about 0-4K ohms
the other wires' resistance measured at about 6-10k
so, the motor either spins right up or it doesn't go to it's max speed when the throttle is connected.
Is there a way to modify it so that it will cover the full range of 0-10K in the same rotation range?
Thanks in advance.

stecykmi

i don't think it's possible to both increase a pot's resistance and keep a minimum resistance value of 0.

you can only increase resistance by putting a resistor in series, but this means the minimum resistance will be the value of the resistor itself.

putting a resistor in parallel will allow for a minimum resistance of zero, but by definition this can only decrease the total resistance.

you'll have to swap the pot for something with a more suitable resistance. you can then try playing with this calculator to obtain the correct resistance: http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html

stecykmi

additionally, if you measured these values without disconnecting the pot, you probably won't get accurate measurements.

mikeny

The pot was disconnected when it was measured.
I've been trying to find a different pot but unsuccessful. The throttle uses a sealed pot. Very small in size. The throttle is not using full range of the current pot that's why it's at 0-4K. I might just seek other alternatives. I will try the calculator. Thanks.