News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Codtone Expandra *Boards Now Available!

Started by Guitarmageddon, March 17, 2013, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

Put me down for say, 3! If that's cool..
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Guitarmageddon

Thanks!
I'm in Oz, I'll send them to the rest of the world for a flat $3.30 for up to 3 boards. 8)

Here's build #4, with tidier guts:

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

hammerheadmusicman

I'll take 3 when you get them then (if you don't already have them), unless they are $1,000 each, in which case probably not!

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

spaceboss

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 20, 2013, 10:22:54 PM
I'll take 3 when you get them then (if you don't already have them), unless they are $1,000 each, in which case probably not!

For entry into the world of the 'forbidden mode', no price is too high. And once you've seen what's in Pandora's box...

Then you'll understand.

Stomptown

Beautiful etch! I love how you sneaked Codtone in there at the bottom...

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

juansolo

Yup, likewise  8)

You know I've got a backlog now of about 40pcbs to populate... ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

slimtriggers

Quote from: Stomptown on March 21, 2013, 06:18:05 AM
Beautiful etch! I love how you sneaked Codtone in there at the bottom...

+1  The detail in that etch is amazing!

Chi_Boy

Ok, so I must have one too.  This is a sickness.

But which opto??  Or does it matter? 

It would seem desireable to go for the PC419 because it's "original" but it's also SMD, and I haven't gone there yet, so its somewhat of a Catch 22.

Is the H11F3 any different?  Through hole would be more familiar if it is.

Cheers,
George

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: Chi_Boy on April 08, 2013, 01:51:24 AM
But which opto??  Or does it matter?  

It would seem desireable to go for the PC419 because it's "original" but it's also SMD, and I haven't gone there yet, so its somewhat of a Catch 22.

Is the H11F3 any different?  Through hole would be more familiar if it is.

It is a sickness George. ;D BTW, I've been admiring your beautiful layouts. 8)
In retrospect, I should have explained that the surfacemount part is quite easy to work with, as I've sold twice as many through hole parts as SMT.
There is no descernible functional difference between the two parts as they both share basically the same (very fast) response times and resistance ranges.
The surface mount thing isn't really as daunting as it sounds though. As far a SMT goes, it's quite a large part, about 4mm x 5mm. It's 4 legs are widely spaced on each corner, and if you put it on the board early it's really quite easy.
I use my ordinary pencil tip iron. First tin the 4 pads on the board, tin one leg of the part, then, holding with tweezers, tack down one leg to keep it in place. Then do the rest. It's really pretty straightforward.
If you've got poor eyesight, shakey hands or sneeze a lot, I'd go with the H11F3, but I think most people would be fine with the PC419. :)
If I run out of the H11F3, I'll offer boards with the PC419's soldered on, but this is a good chance to pop your SMT cherry DIYers! ;D
I'm down to my last stack of boards, and, as I may not order more for a little while, I'd suggest anyone sitting on the fence place an order soon. ;)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Chi_Boy

Alright, you convinced me!  SMD it is!!

Thanks for the kind words on the layouts.  Fabbed boards and PCB mount pots are my favorite combo now!  And those layouts are so lazy to build.  I once received a comment that my resistors were too wide, but when they drop right it without a fight the build goes so much faster.

Cheers,
George

pickdropper

Ben, I'll take one.  Obviously I am comfortable with SMT and it sounds like you have more of those, so that would be fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper