News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I found some Ge PNPs, want to build fuzz

Started by UM7, April 01, 2013, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UM7

Well, I've been wanting some more fuzz recently.  I have a couple tube amps (DIY) but no pedals, so I ordered a few PCBs including the Pepper Spray and the Bumble Bee.  Gah, they call for germanium transistors (3x NKT213, 1x 2N404A) which means I have to source them, which means an additional supplier... or does it?  I was going to stick random silicon transistors in them, but then I found a stash of old transistors.  Here are some that I found:

• One 2N1307, hfe=220
  • A few 2N322, hfe=30-40
  • A few CK722, hfe=40-180 (Archer, not Rayethon)

Does anyone here have some wisdom to share about these transistors?  From what I understand, the CK722s are off-brand transistors rebranded as CK722s after Rayethon stopped making them.  How should I pick transistors for my pedals?

stecykmi

how did you measure the hfe of the transistors? unless the testing method can account for leakage current, the values may not be that accurate (most DMM meters don't). In any case, you'll probably get better sounds through experimentation no matter how you test them, so i suggest socketing the transistors, or breadboarding up the circuit and swapping them out till you find something you like.

the 2n1307 was probably a top-of-the-line device back in the day (it can switch faster than most Ge transistors). It likely does have very high gain with low leakage, so I would probably place this as Q2 or Q3 in the bumble bee. i would not be surprised to find these for high prices on flea-bay.

the 2n322 is a lower gain device, still suitable for buffers or perhaps Q1 of the bumble bee. I've yet to build the pepper spray, but a low gain device might be suitable here too.

the CK722 is _the original_ hobbist transistor, so much so that it has it's own wikipedia page. these guys are old to say the least. they are also low gain, but if you can pick out 1 or 2 high gain ones, even better.