News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirt Box

Started by mjcyates, March 26, 2013, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

Here is the dirt box project I have been working on. All vero layouts used were from tagboard effects. The signal goes Cornish Buffer>King of Tone>Direct Drive>Son of Clay Jones Overdrive. The insides aren't the cleanest, however, after finally getting everything to work properly I was tired of messing with it. The finish is white hammerite paint with some brown paint washed over the top. This will be my submission for the March contest.

jkokura

Love that finish, and cramming all that into the box is pretty impressive!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Awesome finish and washers.

DutchMF

Very impressive! And good to know what I'm up against for this month's comp....  ;) I hope to finish my entry tonight, post a build report first, record a (crappy) audio sample and then enter.
I like the finish on this one a lot! Also, the use of those star-washers (or whatever they are called...) is a very cool touch, where do you get those? And as far as the wiring goes, I think you did a great job with everything that's going on inside there!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

mjcyates

Thanks guys. The finish was actually a mistake that happened to turn out pretty cool. I painted it with the hammerite paint and then baked it in a toaster oven. This was the first time using the oven so I didn't really know what to expect. Well when I took it out the paint had yellowed quite a bit and it bubbled up in places. So, I lightly sanded it to remove the bubbled up spots and then watered down some brown paint and spread it over the enclosure and this is what I ended up with. The washers are from Lowes.

Rip57

Whoa! That'll get your attention, especially the in-your-face washers. Accidental paint jobs aren't always bad and yours came out just fine.

I've never used the old toaster oven for Hammerite, but when I do use it I set it pretty low. I don't go over 150F even on finishes I've used before, and if it's a new finish I set the oven in the 90s (think hot summer day) and check on the piece early and often.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

nzCdog

jimilee

This is way funnier to me than you guys I'm sure
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fendman

All in vero build as well... that must be worth a lot of points, but I am not on the judging list :)

All looks good to me 8)

Good luck

Mike

hammerheadmusicman

Quote from: jimilee on March 27, 2013, 09:36:21 PM
This is way funnier to me than you guys I'm sure

Funny to me too!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jprizz

Jimilee, exactly what I thought when I read that!
I also read that in 'his' voice too.

Cool thing that the finish "goof" worked out for you. I actually thought that was the intended look and not a oops.

mjcyates

QuoteCool thing that the finish "goof" worked out for you. I actually thought that was the intended look and not a oops.

Well we can all pretend that that's the case. ;D The Dos Equis thing is very funny!