News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

my $3 Goodwill delay

Started by alexander.x, March 26, 2013, 02:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexander.x

Hi all, thought I would share a little find of mine. You pro's will probably laugh.
I picked up a little tiny "karaoke" machine at Goodwill or $3.00.
I grabbed it because it had a knob that said delay...I thought....hmmmm?
Lots of inputs and outputs=fun toy/project.
I may try to do a rehouse with it.
After cobbling some connectors to it from guitar to amp...I was pleasantly surprised.
It has so many different flavours. A nice analog type delay, reverb"ish", echo....and it overdrives nicely too.
It uses 4 AA batteries, but....it works.
I will take it apart and take some pic's.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/Dogman_123/media/KGrHqZrYFCJQJUD0DBQ0PhC6Glw60_35_zpsde9bb820.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Feel free to laugh now...i can always salvage it for parts.
Looking for ways to find my own sound and improve my tone, one glob of solder at at time.

wolfingsworth

Haha that is awesome! For $3, why not? If you are able to make a usable delay pedal out of that, I will be very impressed!

culturejam

The PT2399 was designed for, among other things, karaoke machines. I wouldn't be surprised to find one in there.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alexander.x

So is the PT2399 a common chip used in pedals or should I look for a better quality one for future builds?
I am going to try and do a rehouse first for kicks and giggles and look for another for parts.
I guess I will need to keep it at 6V or is there a way to use a 9V and step it down?
Maybe a built in "Devolt"? (noob alert!!!)
I have seen them around before and will snatch  them up if they are only a couple bucks.
I will try to make a You Tube demo as it is first.
Looking for ways to find my own sound and improve my tone, one glob of solder at at time.

pedalman

The pretty stars on top make it look like a American Idol edition !
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

alexander.x

Yes it is a um uh yes...a "vintage David Gilmour signature model delay"...formerly owned by  Eric Johnson . Worth....$800.
Then i think somebody must have rehoused it into a plastic case and slapped American Idol on top of it...and stamped "made in China" on the bottom...now worth...$3.

pedalman

LOL...as long as your having fun with it. its the fun that counts !    ;D
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

wolfingsworth

Quote from: alexander.x on March 26, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
So is the PT2399 a common chip used in pedals or should I look for a better quality one for future builds?
I am going to try and do a rehouse first for kicks and giggles and look for another for parts.
I guess I will need to keep it at 6V or is there a way to use a 9V and step it down?
Maybe a built in "Devolt"? (noob alert!!!)
I have seen them around before and will snatch  them up if they are only a couple bucks.
I will try to make a You Tube demo as it is first.

The PT2399 is a widely used chip for delays and there is a slough of awesome DIY delays (especially on this forum) that utilize them, although they aren't exactly hard to come by. Tayda sells them for like $0.60 or something. I wouldn't buy a bunch of American Idol "karaoke" machines just for the chip, but it is probably a good learning tool and fun for novelties' sake! Maybe someone smarter than I can comment on the voltage question.