News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help Identify These Caps

Started by hagcel, March 27, 2013, 02:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hagcel

I was given an old tube osciliscope. All the tubes were already pulled but I went through and took out the caps and resistors...plus a 100 feet or so of cloth covered wire.

I'd love some help figuring out what I have here. I have a capacitence meter on the way to see if any of these caps are good but this is a sample of what I pulled:

These are wax covered. Are these electrolytic caps? Labeled Sprague Made in USA

These look like PIO bumblebess but huge! No label, just the color bands. On the bottom it looks like another PIO labeled Cornell Dubilier Cub

I have never seen these square caps before. Labeled Astrovox and Micamold, Brooklyn NY. The resistors on the bottom are labeled Lectrohm. I have seen once before in a Tweed Deluxe that I built.

JakeFuzz

The first ones look like they may be some type of polarized capacitor. What are the capacitance values? I have a bunch of those square capacitors. I got them at a surplus shop a long time ago. They are silver mica capacitors. Mine have the value printed on the top but also have those 6 dots on the bottom. I am guessing that those are the color codes indicating capacitance, tolerance and voltage rating but I have no idea how to read them.

selfdestroyer

Square capacitors are mica capacitors. Here is a picture for color code ref.

Haberdasher

the first ones are probably polarized, but I have also seen some old foil caps that have a band on one end, indicating which side is the "outside foil".  so they could be non-polar.

I think the second pic are "bumblebee" caps if I'm not mistaken?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

frankie5fingers

The top ones; the Spragues, are foil in paper.  The line indicates the outside foil.  The outside foil is supposed to be connected to ground.
The dominoes are indeed mica.  The lectrohms look to be wire resistors, or wirewound resistors.
There you have it.

hagcel

Great. Thanks everyone.

How about their application in the audio world? Are the bumblebee's the only ones worth using?

Are the foil caps electrolytic (i.e. they may be no good anymore) or just polarized? Many of the foil caps are values I could use in my tweed deluxe build - but not sure if they should be used...

jkokura

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 27, 2013, 04:03:46 PM
the first ones are probably polarized, but I have also seen some old foil caps that have a band on one end, indicating which side is the "outside foil".  so they could be non-polar.

I'd second this one. I learned it from a book.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

frankie5fingers

The resistors look cool, not sure if their values would be right, but I suppose if they tested OK, and the values worked, why not?
The mica caps, same story, test 'em and see.
I have a bunch of those Spragues.  They vary pretty widely and I'm not sure they were all that good in the beginning.  Even if they tested OK, I dunno if I'd use 'em in a critical spot but they're cool in guitars though, as are the B Bees.  Put 'em on TGP, you could probably find somebody to give $20 or $30 each for them.
(One every minute, right?).