News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Russian Germanium NPN transistors

Started by nieradka, March 27, 2013, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nieradka

Does anyone have any luck with the cheapish Russian NPN germanium transistors on ebay? In particular, for a screwdriver-esque type circuit? Im looking at the GT404G, MP35, MP38, etc, anyone try any of these?

midwayfair

MP38A is great.

MP38, on the other hand, is too low-gain for many applications. However, really low gain transistors sound excellent in Q2 of a buzzaround.

billstein

Unfortunately I bought a bunch of MP38's. Could these be used in a darlington configuration to increase the gain?

midwayfair

Quote from: billstein on March 28, 2013, 04:21:30 PM
Unfortunately I bought a bunch of MP38's. Could these be used in a darlington configuration to increase the gain?

Sure.

billstein

Do you think the Cosmopolitan would be a good candidate for this?

nieradka

Do you know, is there a logic to the A, B, D, G, V etc codes/suffix, in the transistor names?

billstein

Hey nieradka,

I apologize. I got all excited about being able to do something with my transistors and hi-jacked your thread.

nieradka

No problem, Hijack away. Its not a big thread.

midwayfair

Quote from: nieradka on March 28, 2013, 07:06:17 PM
Do you know, is there a logic to the A, B, D, G, V etc codes/suffix, in the transistor names?

None that I've been able to identify, but that doesn't mean that there isn't. In the Russian alphabet, it would be A B V D G in order, but they don't increase in gain by going up.