News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MXR Phase 90 Clone

Started by jimilee, March 14, 2013, 12:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Here is Phaser number 2 for Phaser month. This is an MXR Phase 90 clone from Tonepad,etched by Captain Peyote. The mod switch is the lift that gives it more voiceing,or gets rid of feedback and gives it more sweep. I can realy tell the difference. The finish is a Glittery Cherry Red Finish from a rattle can. I had a great idea for a finish and when that didn't work out I had a plan "b" which,coincidentally didn't work out either,but after that castle burned down,fell over and sank into the swamp,this castle is still standing. I like it alot,and feel the blue led really compliments the sparkly red!

And here is a sound clip first 30 seconds is setting "A" and the next is setting "B"
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jimi-lee-2/mxr-phaser-clone-from-tonepad[/soundcloud]
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on March 14, 2013, 12:43:22 AM
but after that castle burned down,fell over and sank into the swamp,this castle is still standing.
I see what you did there :D
Works at Lectric-FX

Stomptown

Very nice work! I love the red glitter paint. That glitter spray is pretty cool stuff. I used it once and clear coated and sanded and repeated over and over until it had a nice smooth surface. Unfortunately I overdid it and ruined it in the end. No shock! The back plate looked great though  :P  I'll have to give it another go someday...

Are you liking it more than the Phase 45 (smoothie) clone you built?

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2013, 12:52:57 AM
Very nice work! I love the red glitter paint. That glitter spray is pretty cool stuff. I used it once and clear coated and sanded and repeated over and over until it had a nice smooth surface. Unfortunately I overdid it and ruined it in the end. No shock! The back plate looked great though  :P  I'll have to give it another go someday...

I'm way too lazy to sand it over and over like that,as a matter of fact the glittery paint is hiding the bad sanding job I did in the first Idea I had. As it would turn out a table sander is not such a good Idea.
  The smoothie I built got sold after a week,it just wasn't Phasery enough for what I wanted. I have a few more phasers to build,that's why I'm calling it phaser month.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on March 14, 2013, 01:07:32 AM

I'm way too lazy to sand it over and over like that,as a matter of fact the glittery paint is hiding the bad sanding job I did in the first Idea I had. As it would turn out a table sander is not such a good Idea.
  The smoothie I built got sold after a week,it just wasn't Phasery enough for what I wanted. I have a few more phasers to build,that's why I'm calling it phaser month.

Is the stage fright on that list?

hoodoo

Hi Jimilee, just to return the compliment, this looks pretty damn sweet too mate. I've never seen glitter paint in a can, will have to track some down, there's a depth to it that i like. Sounds great too mate, all the best, Matt.

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2013, 01:11:23 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 14, 2013, 01:07:32 AM

Is the stage fright on that list?
Has been since I learned about it. I'm interested to see what it's all about for sure.

Rip57

Hey, nice job making lemonade out of lemons, or is it raspberryaide out of raspberries? In any case, your story made me laugh because it reminds me of myself, "that didn't work, let's try this. Oops. Lets try something else" But in the end you've got something pretty sweet.

In keeping with your phaser month theme, I'm working on a smoothie baby board build right now. I guess I'll find out soon if a Phase 45 clone is phaser-y enough.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

jimilee

Phasery is an awesome word too.as a matter of fact after I built the smoothie, I asked in a post to see if rhere was a way to make it more phasery.recently someone posted they were able to add extra stages to the smoothie. I built tje grind customs phaser last week andb posted pics and audio, it not as phasery as the 90 but more than the 45.up next for me is the ross phaser, and the causality aling with a Dr Phybes, and then to end it all I was thinking of doing a 90 on vero because I've never done vero before, but I may not.I just bought a p100 over on another forum for a dream.

whitebread47

Looks good, especially considering it's backstory!  Though I'm a guitar player, I appreciate the clip of the 90 w/ bass.  I'm with you on the phaser bit.  I don't use the effect much, but when I do I want loads of it on tap should I need it.

Oh man, do I know a thing or two about failing at paint Plans A & B!  Well, you saw the Chimaera salvage I posted over at Grindy's place (Cabin Fever is my name over there).  I used a detail sander on it.  ::)
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Stomptown

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Emooooooo shuuuun! ;) Nice demo!

aballen

Nice man.  I have a smoothie and my tonepad pez90 is almost complete as well.  I'm hoping to get it in by the end of march .  Not sure ill make it.

After hearing yours I'm going to do the same mod as well

jimilee

Quote from: aballen on March 19, 2013, 01:59:34 AM
Nice man.  I have a smoothie and my tonepad pez90 is almost complete as well.  I'm hoping to get it in by the end of march .  Not sure ill make it.

After hearing yours I'm going to do the same mod as well
I live it really. That mod is huge I think

midwayfair

The B mode sounds excellent on your bass. nice build!

jimilee

Thank you Jon. I really could've recorded it better honestly, I just threw this out from my cell phone. That b mode is very throaty. I really like it.