News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini Cardinal Tremolo :)

Started by midwayfair, March 20, 2013, 12:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This is the bias modulated LFO version.

It was fun building one in a 1590A, but this version just doesn't have the power of the IC-based LFO. It can't get as deep (it's about the same depth as an EA tremolo, maybe a hair shallower), so no "bottomed out" sounds in here, and the speed range is limited from about about "4" to "9" on an amp, which means no super slow pulses or raygun effects. I probably could have rigged something up with a dual gang pot to get a bigger speed range, but I just liked the simplicity of it. Basically just suitable for eighth and quarter notes in most common song tempos to add a little movement, no craziness.

jprizz

Very nice Jon, I am super impressed with what you've been coming up with lately. Curveball question here: Did you ever build up RG Keen's Vibratone? If so what are your thoughts on how it compares to your Cardinal?
-Josh

icecycle66

Man, you've been on a tremelo tear.

midwayfair

Quote from: jprizz on March 20, 2013, 12:34:48 AMCurveball question here: Did you ever build up RG Keen's Vibratone? If so what are your thoughts on how it compares to your Cardinal?

I did build it -- great sounding box and tremendously faithful to the amp's sound. I think that the IC-based version of the Cardinal can hit basically all the same ground (and then some) with far fewer parts, and it's easier to build since buying a vactrol is easier than matching FETs. Plus you get all sorts of extra fun thanks to the waveform control and mode switch (it's harder to turn RG's version into a full-range tremolo).

Angelo: Yeah. How many tremolos does one guy need? The answer is apparently "More than 10." I just love LFO modulation effects. :)

Rip57

> How many tremolos does one guy need?

I dunno. How many are there?

Good job. You have a great style.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa