News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A tool I do not know how to use.. yet

Started by selfdestroyer, March 07, 2013, 11:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I picked this up yesterday for a great price and I told myself I need to learn to use it for my build process. Please don't make fun of me to bad since I have every intention to learn how to use it but I did what I do with most hobbies and jumped in with both feet.

I have found a few really good videos on troubleshooting skills with a oscilloscope but I am having a hard time applying it to 9v audio circuits.

I'm sure many of you use one and I thought maybe some of you can fill me in what you use it for and how it would effect you if didn't have one.

icecycle66

aballen

Nice where did you get it it looks brand new

selfdestroyer

Quote from: aballen on March 08, 2013, 12:22:45 AM
Nice where did you get it it looks brand new

Got it from a electronics store in Pomona, California. It is brand new. Got it for $250. I have been watching them online and have been reading reviews and I decided to jump on it.

Thomas_H

HI selfdestroyer.

I myself own a Hameg 204-2 which is more then 20 years old now. You know, as they had real tubes - as in analog TV :-)

They are a good tool if your audio probe (I am sure you have one? ) does not help you anymore.

Assume you do have an effect which needs troubleshooting as the signal on the Out is clearly not what it is supposed to be.

What you do:

Set your scope to somewhere around 1ms/div. This should make you see audio signals. Feel free to go up/down later to see more detail or more signal over time.

a) Put a defined signal to your input (Like Tiny tester from JMK http://www.jmkpcbs.com/JMK_PCBs/DIY_Projects.html)
b) Use your probe to look at your signal inside the circut. First ground the probe, then use your circuit schematic to poke around at the right places looking at the signal.

- Signal range is around 10mV - 100mV from Guitar in and 500mV - 2V on the output. Thats the range you are working at and which you need to set in your scope.

You poke around and find that one of your transistors in the circuit has a signal in - and nothing goes out. Good idea to check the orientation of the transistor and - hey-you made it (at least in this made up scenario)

Hope this helps as a starter. Have fun !
-Thomas
DIY-PCBs and projects:

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Thomas_H on March 08, 2013, 03:42:10 PM
HI selfdestroyer.

I myself own a Hameg 204-2 which is more then 20 years old now. You know, as they had real tubes - as in analog TV :-)

They are a good tool if your audio probe (I am sure you have one? ) does not help you anymore.

Assume you do have an effect which needs troubleshooting as the signal on the Out is clearly not what it is supposed to be.

What you do:

Set your scope to somewhere around 1ms/div. This should make you see audio signals. Feel free to go up/down later to see more detail or more signal over time.

a) Put a defined signal to your input (Like Tiny tester from JMK http://www.jmkpcbs.com/JMK_PCBs/DIY_Projects.html)
b) Use your probe to look at your signal inside the circut. First ground the probe, then use your circuit schematic to poke around at the right places looking at the signal.

- Signal range is around 10mV - 100mV from Guitar in and 500mV - 2V on the output. Thats the range you are working at and which you need to set in your scope.

You poke around and find that one of your transistors in the circuit has a signal in - and nothing goes out. Good idea to check the orientation of the transistor and - hey-you made it (at least in this made up scenario)

Hope this helps as a starter. Have fun !
-Thomas

Some great information here.. Thanks. I do use a audio probe and that will help me with easy fixes like bridges and bad parts, for the most part. I was hoping a scope would help with pedals that just don't sound "right" or weird.

Last night I did figure out that I can make snap shots on to a USB key and also do competitive checking between 2 transistors or ICs. I was able to see the out put of 2 OpAmp muffs I made and see if they "looked" the same.

I hear some people saying that the first thing they do when building is warm up the oscilloscope.. I'm just trying to see how I can incorporate it in my every days tools.

Thomas_H

Warming up the oscilloscope is an analog thing. Not applicable for digital stuff. The tubes in the analoge ones (not really thetubes but the amplifiers) need to heat up a few minutes. After that you need to calibrate the zero-line. If you calibrate right after power up it will be off when its warm.

It will take you a while looking at circuits (especially distortion units) and having the right idea how the signal should look like :)

However, over time you will get used to it and the oscilloscope is a great tool. Have fun learning.

I am so glad my scope does not have digital features like yours as I would spent too much time looking at it instead of building pedals. I already spent too much time making pedals instead of making music!
DIY-PCBs and projects:

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Thomas_H on March 08, 2013, 06:54:57 PM
Warming up the oscilloscope is an analog thing. Not applicable for digital stuff.

Oh I know.. just thought it was funny that guys would say that. Its like my routine of brewing a pot of coffee every time I turn on the soldering station. lol

thanks again for you time to answer my questions.