News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top-Notch 3PDT Switch?

Started by pryde, November 27, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

After building a couple weener-wahs and modifying other crybabys for true bypass/LED I realize the 3PDT switches I have used are not good candidates for RELIABLE wah use.

I have tried the standard blue (junk), and the teal green ones from Mammoth with very inconsistent results as well. Basically the switches will sometimes not trip because of side-loading when the rocker pushes to engage. When this happens...dead silence. You have to quickly stomp again to get signal, then re-engage to turn on the wah. NO GOOD.

Yes the switch height is correct and have tried different stack heights with the same result.

So what is the highest quality/best 3PDT out there to use with consistent results in a wah? Price doesn't matter much, it just needs to work well. Ideas?

croquet hoop

We have been talking about it recently, the Alpha 3PDT seems to stand out as the best choice, if you really need a 3PDT.

For your application, why not try a momentary switch with a relay board? There are plenty of options available (Thomas H has one, and 1776 effects just released one as well), and you'll have more choice for the switch itself.

Or a quality DPDT (Alpha too) with a millennium bypass board or optical bypass (1776's opto-tron).

pryde

Thanks Croquet. I was reading on the other thread which prompted me to start a new one to reel in everyone's opinion and experiences. A relay board eh? Maybe that would be the ticket with a good quality dpdt then. I have not tried an alpha but maybe will pick one up next order.

pickdropper

I had the same problem with a wah even with higher quality 3PDT switches.  Even thought I had the switch punted as high as it could go and it clicked when I pressed it, it wouldn't always engage.

The solution was to put a spacer on the underside of the top rocker.  I was a bit surprised, but that apparently fixed it.  I would try that before ripping the switch out.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

Quote from: pickdropper on November 27, 2013, 09:09:46 PM
I had the same problem with a wah even with higher quality 3PDT switches.  Even thought I had the switch punted as high as it could go and it clicked when I pressed it, it wouldn't always engage.

The solution was to put a spacer on the underside of the top rocker.  I was a bit surprised, but that apparently fixed it.  I would try that before ripping the switch out.

Thanks PD. Do you mean change the felt pad or add a spacer to that? Just trying to clarify.

pickdropper

Quote from: pryde on November 27, 2013, 09:13:13 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 27, 2013, 09:09:46 PM

Thanks PD. Do you mean change the felt pad or add a spacer to that? Just trying to clarify.

It's a good question, I wasn't terribly clear.

I added a spacer in between the felt pad and the underside of the top rocker.  I did have to play with thickness a bit as too much didn't leave enough travel.  In the end, it worked out fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

My experience with a cheap 3pdt in a wah shell.

Really... the shell had it's issues.

Next up is Mictesters Relay setup using the stock switch and mounting the relay board down at the jacks so the signal's not being routed all over the shell. Bought the recommended relay on ebay.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13295

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Check out 1776's finish line bypass. Uses any momentary soft switch. Would work well here.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

Quote from: rullywowr on November 27, 2013, 11:55:13 PM
Check out 1776's finish line bypass. Uses any momentary soft switch. Would work well here.

Hm, I'm not sure I'd want a soft-touch switch for a wah. The optical bypass would be pretty awesome, though. (Disclaimer: I am now completely enamoured with that bypass and I'm converting a lot of pedals to it for true bypass.)

Smallbear's price on their really good 3PDTs is a lot less than it used to be -- they have the ones made for them (probably the highest quality 3PDTs you can reliably get in the US) for $5 now, and I believe the alpha switches are the same price. The alphas are NOT like the DPDTs used in the optical bypass, though and are still a little more ... forceful or something. Those DPDTs are super nice and I'm sad I stuck to the blue switches for so long.

pryde

I agree with Jon, I'm not sure a soft-touch would be a good fit for a wah.

The optical bypass with the Alpha DPDT seams good. I will try that and maybe the 3PDT alpha when I do my next smallbear order

rullywowr

That's true but you could use a momentary with a "click" with a relay. The optical does sound like a good fit however.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!