News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Breadboard pots

Started by pedalman, February 27, 2013, 05:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

raulduke

Nice.

The right angled Alpha PCB mount pots also work verywell on bread boards

I have some trimpots like that (a different manufacturer though) and love them but can't find a good (cheap) source for them in the UK.

They will also work as standard trim pots on builds as well of course.

gtr2

I just use pcb mount right angle or trims, depending on the app.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

RobA

The problem I see with using trim pots for is they aren't rated for many rotational cycles. These trimmers are rated for 200 cycles where a standard Bourns pot is rated at 15000 cycles.

I use the little plastic shaft/knob 9mm Alpha or Bourns pots for breadboarding. I just cut off the bits that are used to hold it on the PCB and then they are easy to mount on the breadboard. It works great except for the fact that I keep forgetting to order some 10kB's. I don't have any of them and all the circuits I'm working on now use tons of 10kB's.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

This was posted over at diystompboxes and i'm borrowing this idea for pots. Had tried the trimmer route and a few others and this is the handsdown winner for me.

Quote from: electrosonic on February 05, 2013, 06:16:42 PM

Andrew.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

raulduke

I think Right-Angle PCB Mount Pots have got to be the winner for me; just stick 'em straight in and away you go  :)!

Thomas_H

I am also using the PCB-mounted pots. But I like the idea of putting the wires where you need them like davent did :-)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

davent

I can't take credit, not my idea or picture, i only borrowed/stole them, thanks to Andrew (Electrosonic at diystompboxes) for sharing his solution!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?