News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

can you use a battery snap with a mono jack?

Started by danwelsh, February 22, 2013, 01:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi, just wondering if there's a way to hook up a battery snap with mono jacks....I just completed a build but want to add a battery snap and low and behold i forgot to order jacks so i had to pick them up at radio shack and all they had was mono jacks...i realize i can hook one up to the lug on the the 9v jack and the ground on the mono jack but will this mean that i have to disconnect the battery every time i plug it in with a 9v adapter? Thanks in advance guys.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danwelsh

Okay but did you have to pull the battery when using a 9v wall adapter?

jimilee

Nope.but this is just my experience,I've had no issues.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

The stereo jack is used to disconnect the ground side of the batt when the pedal is not in use, basically so it lasts longer, otherwise it will be slowly discharging al the time.  The switched DC socket is the part that disconnects the +ve side of the battery when a power supply is plugged in, and that keeps the magic smoke from escaping

danwelsh

Okay, thanks for clearin that up 4 me.....battery snap after work today :)

culturejam

Quote from: danwelsh on February 22, 2013, 11:18:08 AM

Just keep in mind that when you don't have a DC jack plugged in, your battery is going to be continually discharged if you use a mono input jack, regardless of whether or not an instrument cable is plugged in.

So if the pedal is always on your board and plugged in to your DC supply, you're fine. But if that's the case, why do you need a battery?

I would caution against using a battery snap without a stereo jack. You're just going to waste batteries and put heavy metals in the landfill for no reason.

/hippie rant
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

DutchMF

Quote from: culturejam on February 22, 2013, 02:04:42 PM
Quote from: danwelsh on February 22, 2013, 11:18:08 AM

Just keep in mind that when you don't have a DC jack plugged in, your battery is going to be continually discharged if you use a mono input jack, regardless of whether or not an instrument cable is plugged in.

So if the pedal is always on your board and plugged in to your DC supply, you're fine. But if that's the case, why do you need a battery?

I would caution against using a battery snap without a stereo jack. You're just going to waste batteries and put heavy metals in the landfill for no reason.

/hippie rant

Might be a hippie rant, but it's still true! I strongly suggest you use a power supply instead of a battery snap, it's all in the little things that make a big difference! Oh, if anybody is interested, I bought 10 battery snaps from Tayda on a crazy wim, as they are so cheap. Realizing I'm not gonna use them, ever, they're up for grabs....  ;) Will repost in the buy/sell/trade area!

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

danwelsh

Ill just take the battery out when not in use......reason for this being i only have so many power outlets in my home,dont play gigs and just built my 2nd pedal and ordered 4 more builds.....

danwelsh

Or better yet ill just wait until i get a stereo jack

pedalman

Quote from: danwelsh on February 22, 2013, 03:54:41 PM
Ill just take the battery out when not in use......reason for this being i only have so many power outlets in my home,dont play gigs and just built my 2nd pedal and ordered 4 more builds.....
lol... get a generator to power your pedals, then just turn up your amp !
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

jimilee