News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My 7 of 9 phaser distortion

Started by jimilee, February 17, 2013, 03:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So i noticed tonight that my 7 of 9 phaser is a little bit distorted sounding,especially if I flip the script block switch. Is this common or has anyone experienced this? I really can't find much on this phaser anywhere. Here is the layout. The only Mod I did was reduce R25 to about 2.7k from 4.7k. Oh and the speed knob is 500kC instead of 100kC Would these cause distortion?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

R25 only effects the speed pot, correct?

Btw, that's a gnarly perf build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jimilee

I thought so, it was jut a stab in the dark. Thank you though, I like the build, it sounds great as far as the phaser goes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

So I'm doing some investigative work and comparing the 7 of 9  layout to the layout on tonepad.com,and I found this:
  Possible mods: .. The resistor to change the level is the 150k which connects between the collector and base of the PNP transistor: 120k to reduce gain, 180k to increase it."
On the 7 of 9 above layout the same resistor is 56k,the two layouts are nearly the same. Can someone tell or confirm that this will also reduce the gain if I change the 56k to 150k? And does gain=Volume or just gain in this instance?

here is the tonepad layout for comparison

ch1naski

It seems to point in the right direction....too much level would cause saturation. I would swap it. But, I'm an amateur....:P

one louder.

ch1naski

Hey Jimi, can that layout be modded to Univibe sounds?

one louder.

jimilee

I do not know, that's a good question. I'd send an email to Rick over at frequency central.

Scruffie

Yes it can (this is just a Phase 90 correct?) and FET distortion is fairly common, it shouldn't be too bad though... guess it's down to user what's acceptable.

The tonepad thing isn't showing so can't compare them.
Works at Lectric-FX