Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question With LED in Pos Ground

Started by frankie5fingers, February 16, 2013, 11:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

So I wired up a Rangemaster according to this:
http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Rangemaster/Rangemaster.pdf
and using the bottom diagram for adding an LED.  I wired the upper left of the 3pdt to the round side of the LED and the black battery wire to the other.  The LED lights when engaged just fine, but not when the pedal is engaged so I'm wondering about a jumper into the -9v pad on the PCB?
Never mind, I wired in the LED but forgot to connect to the PCB pad (duh) - so that's what a brain fart feels like.  Once again proving it's best to wait a little while after the meds kick in...

davent

Since it's a positive ground circuit the red lead from your battery snap goes to the ground pad of the pcb and the black lead from the battery snap goes to the -9v pad of the pcb. (Page 4 of the pdf.)
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

frankie5fingers

Thanks davent, I realized what I'd done after removing the wiring for the power supply (way too noisy).  I corrected my post - thanks for the reply though.

pedalman

lol, I racked my brain for 2 days trying to figure out a build. Then i realized that i left out a part of the
- circuit. I felt so stupid, I told my friends that it was a bad IC i had to troubleshoot   ;D
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

alanp

A key point that may help -- it's not negative ground. It's not positive ground. Ground is ground, it's a reference voltage that is zero relative to damn near everything. It's like saying negative zero.

Rangemasters, Fuzz Faces and the like run on negative nine volts. -9V.

(Disclaimer: bourbon.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website