News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer problems, please help

Started by JaviCAP, February 07, 2013, 03:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaviCAP

Hi all,

Built some time ago a Sun King (very satisfied), but as a Klon Centaur lover, wanted to build a Kingslayer, and today finally received the dual gang B100k I needed.

Well, I did find two problems once wired:

1. The motorboat problem with gain carnked and both hard and soft clippin' diodes lifted. Ok, I was warned about this issue.

2. If I lifted D2 and D3 (Bat46) and cranked distortion with 1n34s or red leds active, the amount of gain was unbearable, dirty and distorted, a real wall of noise and had a little motorboat background sound. If the BAT46 were active too, then the effect worked fine.

I deciced to socket R11 and finally choose 680k. Higher values get the insane distortion again, and lower ones, offered very low gain.

I  knew the problem with both sets lifted, but the distorted noise when D2-D3 were unactive seems new or at least haven't seen anything about it.

I built this pedal verbatim to specifications (I even was lucky enough to find a resistor of 392k!), except the MAX1044, that was replaced with a ICL7660SCPAZ.

Any idea / comment about his issue with the D2-D3 lifted?

Best regards.

JaviCAP

Well,

I've been trying again, and still have the same problem: if D2 and D3 are not engaged, the distortion gets unbearable with gain pot over 12 o'clok. From full CCW to 12 o clock, you get a soft and sweet overdrive, but from 12 onwards it get insanely loud and farted.

Swaped the IC with a TL074 and the problem is the same.

I include a pic of the board

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BR

JaviCAP

Well, problem solved!

R-15, I used a 4,7k resistor instead a 47k one! Swapped resistor and now works 100%.

BR

fuzzymuff

Where did you get the 392K resistor?  I'm ordering the parts for this build.