News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Little Green Russian

Started by televisiondown, February 06, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

televisiondown

not a 1590a, but much smaller than my tall font sovtek muff! built it to green russian specs. the sound isn't the same as my original, but it's pretty close. i socketed all the transistors and diodes, so i'll probably play around with it to see what other noises it can make ;D definitely happy with the smaller footprint. there is some hum when i turn it on...thinking about adding some insulated wire to see if it helps.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

wstimson

I'm certainly no expert... but you might try removing the ground wire to the output jack.
Sometimes with high gain effects, that can create a ground loop that adds extra noise/hum to the effect.

Worth a shot, anyway.

televisiondown

Thanks! I'll give it a go tomorrow.

PimpMyTone

Nice build !

What transistors did you used ?
Simon

televisiondown

Quote from: wstimson on February 06, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
I'm certainly no expert... but you might try removing the ground wire to the output jack.
Sometimes with high gain effects, that can create a ground loop that adds extra noise/hum to the effect.

Worth a shot, anyway.

Desoldered the extra ground today and it definitely reduced the hum. Not silent, but if it doesn't sound like it's pushing some air out of your amp it's not loud enough, right? ;D haha

Love this thing. Thinking of swapping the 2n5088s i have in there for BC550s just for fun.

Thanks wstimson!! Your help is MOST APPRECIATED!

-kris

wstimson

Quote from: televisiondown on February 07, 2013, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: wstimson on February 06, 2013, 09:53:57 PM

Worth a shot, anyway.

Desoldered the extra ground today and it definitely reduced the hum. Not silent, but if it doesn't sound like it's pushing some air out of your amp it's not loud enough, right? ;D haha

Love this thing. Thinking of swapping the 2n5088s i have in there for BC550s just for fun.

Thanks wstimson!! Your help is MOST APPRECIATED!

-kris

You're welcome.  Honestly, I'm shocked I was able to help anyone with anything.  :)
Just something I read once while trying to figure out why something of mine wasn't working.

Still, glad I could help you figure that out.   :)

-Bill