News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

No knob egghead?

Started by wgc, January 24, 2013, 02:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

I was thinking of building an egg head without knobs, just internal trim pots.

I tend to set and forget the other OD/boost boxes I've built but wondering if I might be short changing myself with this one if I omit knobs.

Opinions?  Not much in the way of risk since I can switch easily but would have to order pots and wait...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jkokura

If you are a set and forget kinda player, than yes I think it's a good idea.

One thought - consider mounting your PCB in some secure fashion, then drilling holes in the bottom of the pedal so you don't even have to take the lid off in order to change settings.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Stomptown

this is not a bad idea! I might have to build a boost and OC like this so I don't have to worry about messing with it when I'm gigging...

patrickbrose

I'm gonna disagree a little. The Vol and Gain can be set and forget, but if you play with more than one type of guitar, you are going to want to be able to manipulate the presence knob. I find that the setting I have for my Tele is a bit different than for my LP copy.
-P

wgc

Agree with all of the above, ESP drilling smaller holes for adjustment, and no mess set up.  But also thinking interactivity/sensitivity of knobs on this build might be dynamic enough to justify an order and wait.  ESP with different guitars or amps.

So I've built a sho, neutrino, Timmy, but after a few various adjustments end up in the same area.  Also built a slow loris, but that one I tweak a bit to get different sounds.

I think I'm going to start with trimmers on this and see.  Might be worth building 2 with trimmers set differently.
e.e. cummings

jeffaroo

if it was me id build a no-knober, but mount the board upside-down. drill micro holes in the bottom so you could bake adjustments from the underside with a small screwdriver through the holes.
back to the front side you got your footswitch, add another switch to change to another opamp
2 ops in one box ! slap a chiquita bannana sticker on it and call it good !
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jimilee

Just never use a different guitar, and if you do, build another one. It's pretty simple I'd say.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jeffaroo

Quote from: jimilee on January 24, 2013, 05:04:28 AM
Just never use a different guitar, and if you do, build another one. It's pretty simple I'd say.
just hot glue the guitar to your left hand and crotch and you will be good !    :o
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jimilee

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 24, 2013, 05:25:08 AM
Quote from: jimilee on January 24, 2013, 05:04:28 AM
just hot glue the guitar to your left hand and crotch and you will be good !    :o
What could possibly go wrong?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Built it tonight with trim pots only, sounds awesome!

Might just do another with knobs, but have to say, I feel little need to do any adjusting. 

Will check with another guitar- amp combo before I box it up and decide, but really surprising how great this circuit sounds.

Nice job once again Brian!
e.e. cummings