News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle gain pot not working?

Started by MIM#1, December 12, 2012, 08:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIM#1

Hi, I'm on my second Snarkdoodle board and cant seem to get the gain pot to do anything? Tried different pots etc... and nothing, what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to build the llama version.

MIM#1

I thought maybe it needed a jumper for the boost switch, but that didnt do it. :-\

midwayfair

Quote from: MIM#1 on December 12, 2012, 08:14:10 PM
Hi, I'm on my second Snarkdoodle board and cant seem to get the gain pot to do anything? Tried different pots etc... and nothing, what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to build the llama version.

Which holes did you jumper for the boost? If you omitted the switch, ONE of the switch positions must be hardwired. That's lugs 1 and 2, or lugs 3 and 2.

Is it stuck in full gain, no gain, or somewhere in the middle? Check continuity and such with your multimeter. Eliminate the possibility of a solder bridge. Double check the value of the pots - if you switched them, the gain pot would be very ineffective! :)

if you have further trouble, review the "Rules" thread for tech help -- many, many tips from Jacob to try to help get your build working. After you've done those steps, then post again here and see if there's more that can be done to help.

MIM#1

Ok, it was the jumpering of pads 1+2 on the boost switch. I kinda wish this info was in the instructions cause it just says 'omit' the boost switch.It would have been nice to know this before I ruined my first board swapping parts/pots etc...and saved me a couple hours of frustration.
#2 is working properly and does sound great!

midwayfair

Quote from: MIM#1 on December 14, 2012, 07:18:42 PM
Ok, it was the jumpering of pads 1+2 on the boost switch. I kinda wish this info was in the instructions cause it just says 'omit' the boost switch.It would have been nice to know this before I ruined my first board swapping parts/pots etc...and a couple hours of frustration.
#2 is working properley and does sound great!

The schematic is in the build document and clearly shows that the boost switch is the only connection of the gain pot.

The forum is here to help if you need to know how to make a mod or don't understand a portion of the schematic. Even the most experienced folks here have to ask questions.

Anyway, I'm glad you got the second one working properly. You may still be able to salvage the first -- even lifted pads can be dealt with with the clever use of snipped ends of resistors. I have to do that every once in a while when I get impatient while desoldering.

MIM#1

The schematic is in the build document and clearly shows that the boost switch is the only connection of the gain pot.

The forum is here to help if you need to know how to make a mod or don't understand a portion of the schematic. Even the most experienced folks here have to ask questions.

Thanks, yeah I should have asked. Actually I'm not well versed on schematic reading, but have built lots of effects and several amps using layouts. I guess that maybe on future instructions  for the WHRL snarkdoodle Brian could change the word 'omit' to 'jumper pads 1+2' . It might just save some poor fool from making the same mistake as me...or am I the only one thats done this ???

atreidesheir

Quote from: MIM#1 on December 14, 2012, 11:20:05 PM

... I guess that maybe on future instructions  for the WHRL snarkdoodle Brian could change the word 'omit' to 'jumper pads 1+2' . It might just save some poor fool from making the same mistake as me...or am I the only one thats done this ???
Probably not.  That is less obvious than most of my mishaps. 
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Bman40

Thanks, yeah I should have asked. Actually I'm not well versed on schematic reading, but have built lots of effects and several amps using layouts. I guess that maybe on future instructions  for the WHRL snarkdoodle Brian could change the word 'omit' to 'jumper pads 1+2' . It might just save some poor fool from making the same mistake as me...or am I the only one thats done this ???

So I connect pads onea nd two on the PCB with a jumper wire if I want to omit the switch?

thanks

MIM#1

Quote from: Bman40 on January 22, 2013, 05:53:03 PM

So I connect pads onea nd two on the PCB with a jumper wire if I want to omit the switch?

thanks

Yes!