News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2n5133 transistors for muff build?

Started by claytushaywood, May 07, 2012, 09:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

Anyone throw down the dough for these?  are they worth it?  got a good source?

marauder

Quote from: claytushaywood on May 07, 2012, 09:41:15 PM
Anyone throw down the dough for these?  are they worth it?  got a good source?

I think Skreddy got all the good ones, I wouldn't waste my cash trying to get hold of ones with  the right gain.

Built a Skreddy ?Lady clone, and used a 2n5088 in Q1, bc549c in Q2, Q3, and BC109C in Q4.  The original we compared to had 2n5133 Q1-Q3, BC109C Q4.  It's very close, the original has a touch more sparkle in the top end, but if I hadn't heard the original I wouldn't know, its the most awesome muff ever.

claytushaywood

ALL of them?  damn...!  well thanks for the info!  I've been noticing some differences in quality with silicons i've bought over the years.  the 2n5306's i got from small bear sound so much better (and look different than ones I've gotten elsewhere)  Are smallbear's generally more expensive transistors "better" than the lower priced ones from tayda or elsewhere?  Are there any particular bc109's I should be looking for? 

i havent seen much info on transistor manufacturers... is there even anything to this or am I making it up?

marauder

Most of the ones i've got are fairchild, the bc109cs are cdil, the same as skreddy used.

claytushaywood

What gain 2n5133 would you want for a big muff or other gainy pedal build?  small bear has em guaranteed to be at 50hfe or above... but they also have a note to see the SE4010 for big muff builds- it has a guaranteed hfe of 140 minimum

juansolo

Zombie thread, but it was never answered.

Ideally the 5133's want to be over 500hfe... There really aren't any left that are up there that are easily available.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk