News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shoot the Moon Tremolo

Started by Stomptown, January 21, 2013, 07:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Hey guys, here is my first complete build for 2013. ;D  I started this in December but I finally finished the etched enclosuer and boxed it up. The etch turned out great on this one. Not quite as deep as I hoped but very little pitting and clean overall. I used one of the textured black enclosures from mammoth and taped the sides before etching in order to keep the textured paint on the sides of the enclosure. All I had was scotch tape and it worked great! I tried to stay true to the name with my design on this one with the bullet and moon theme. This is the first time I have done the Zvex style 1590B build and it was a little challenging. I put the jacks on the top side of the enclosure, which I usually don't do, but it worked well for the build (the jacks and 3pdt are holding pcb in place).

I absolutely love this pedal; its really versatile and exactly what I've been looking for out of a Tremolo. It goes from smooth and creamy to tense and choppy and everything in between. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who hasn't built it yet...

nzCdog

Hot etch!  That pedal looks great, love the knobs too... :o

pickdropper

Really like the graphics on this one.  Great job.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

This looks great! That is one impressive etch.

midwayfair

Great looking pedal inside and especially out. Also one of my favorite tremolos. CJ did a great job updating a classic.

spaceboss

Great design/implementation.

I like the idea of using a pre-coated enclosure and then sanding back the areas you want to etch. Did the textured coating sand off relatively easily?

fish22

Quote from: spaceboss on January 21, 2013, 05:50:11 PM

I like the idea of using a pre-coated enclosure and then sanding back the areas you want to etch. Did the textured coating sand off relatively easily?

I'm interested in hearing about this as well. 
SICK build man! Love it.
I really want a shoot the moon board!
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

Stomptown

Quote from: spaceboss on January 21, 2013, 05:50:11 PM

It takes a little elbow grease to sand it down but it's not too bad. It would have been easier if I started with a 60 grit sand paper instead of 100. In the end I worked all the way to a 600 grit wet sand so it was a little tedious! I tried this once before and did not tape off the painted areas on the sides and it made the sides look iridescent (i.e. like oil in water but on a black surface) . It actually would have looked cool but the whole enclosure wasn't submerged and only half of the sides were affected.

If you use a powder coated enclosure and want to keep the sides painted for end product just make sure to tape over the sides really well. Otherwise you'll be sanding the sides AND the lid!  :-\  Not really a big deal though! I actually prefer to buy prepainted enclosures even if I plan on sanding the whole thing in the end. It takes a lot less time than painting a mask... Hope this helps guys...

eldanko

Great etch!  The STM is my favorite DIY trem, hands down!
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

jimilee

I need to learn to etch,and then enviro over it
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Very nice work! That's a beautiful finished product.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

I always wondered where those Bullet Bills ended up when they passed Mario...awesome etch, super tidy guts! Great build.

whitebread47

I am humbled by the excellence of this build.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

MattOcaster

Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

Stomptown

Thanks for the kind words guys!