News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wire question

Started by MattL, December 21, 2012, 01:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattL

I discovered that at one point I must have ordered several lengths of different colored wires by accident, because I never intentionally ordered solid core. I don't know if any of it has made its way into any builds, probably not, unless I could tin it without seeing it was solid...doubtful! Anyway, I was wondering how useful is the solid core for pedal building, are there limitations, advantages, or disadvantages, and if it is usable, can it be used in the same build as the stranded type. Thanks in advance!

Marv Mod

Hi Matt, I'm thinking the main advantage for solid core is the fact that it bends and retains its shape pretty easily, so making nice tidy wire runs is going to be a little easier with solid core. Multi-core will also do this to a degree but you really need to bend it hard to make it stay put!

Thanks,
Jeremy

alanp

If you work it too much, though, solid core can break inside the insulation.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on December 28, 2012, 10:02:06 AM

This.  Solid core is fine if it is not going to move at all, but stranded is more reliable.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

MattL

Thanks for the input everybody, and Happy New Year!

icecycle66

irmcdermott

I typically use stranded on pots, solid on everything else.

DutchMF

Matt, if you still have the solid core, I'm willing to trade you for a bundle of the stranded stuff. I tried it, hated it and went back to my trusted solid core wire.... I'll post a build report of a looper/switcher I've been working on the past couple of days real soon, explaining just why I hate the stranded stuff....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

use your solid on the breadboard
you get more pokey action
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jeffaroo

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 31, 2012, 10:29:41 PM
All I use is solid core.

Angelo is hardcore, thats how he rolls
if you look close he decorated his crown with it (also holds his moustache curls)
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on December 28, 2012, 01:18:50 PM

This.  Solid core is fine if it is not going to move at all, but stranded is more reliable.

This x2.

I mostly use solid core (occasionally ribbon). As long as nothing moves around, it's by far the easiest stuff to use. Until I find a decent supplier for 24AWG pre-bonded ribbon that is, which is the best stuff ever if you can get it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

MattL

Quote from: juansolo on January 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 28, 2012, 01:18:50 PM

This x2.

I mostly use solid core (occasionally ribbon). As long as nothing moves around, it's by far the easiest stuff to use. Until I find a decent supplier for 24AWG pre-bonded ribbon that is, which is the best stuff ever if you can get it.

I think you can get the wire you're talking about at guitarpcb.com
I just discovered a lot of these new answers today, so thanks to everybody that helped!