News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another Cosmo

Started by slimtriggers, April 02, 2013, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Everybody seems to love these, so I gave it a try.  All I can say is that if you haven't built one, you definitely need to do so ASAP!  Exactly what I was looking for in a fuzz. 

I call it the Jade Dragon.  Not super proud of the guts.  I give it an 8 for concept and maybe a 5 for execution.  I had no idea it would be so hard to cut out a circle  :-[

hammerheadmusicman

That looks really cool! Great idea!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

atreidesheir

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 02, 2013, 08:57:16 PM
I call it the Jade Dragon.  Not super proud of the guts.  I give it an 8 for concept and maybe a 5 for execution.  I had no idea it would be so hard to cut out a circle  :-[
I hope you are not serious.  9.9 for guts and freakin awesome for finish!
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

G.G.

Quote from: atreidesheir on April 02, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: slimtriggers on April 02, 2013, 08:57:16 PM
I hope you are not serious.  9.9 for guts and freakin awesome for finish!

+1, for real. Love that green board!!

wolfingsworth

This is rad! Nice touch of originality. I still need to box my cosmo but it sounded great in the 'rocking' stage. Well done!

gordo

Are you kidding...I think my builds look pretty decent but are about a 3.5 compared with THAT.  That backlit emblem is insane!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

Great idea and great execution! Love the shade of green, what's the  paint that you used to give you the textured finish?

If you're going to be making many more of these or building tube amps you can get a step bit that goes to 1 3/8", makes short work of hole creation.

Very nicely done!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jprizz

Brilliant! I really dig the backlit plate, and the color is so cool.

-Josh

And as soon as the April build off contest starts I would hope to see this entered in it, hint, hint...

jimilee

At first what was like EH...and then it was like POW and I was like whoa and then it went blam and I was like, what the hell??? And then I was spent. Nice execution all the way through.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Parra

woah!! this reminds me the time well spent playing mortal kombat 2 for the 16bit Sega...good ol'days!
Looks amazing, now i want the cheat codes for those Fatalities...eheh

danwelsh

That's just plain and simple awesome man :)

slimtriggers

Thanks guys!  I would've never even thought about doing something like this if it hadn't been for this place.  Just kind of a culmination of things I've seen others do.

As far as details:

-The paint is Dormant Granny Smith green powder coat.

-I don't know what transistor that is in Q3.  I bought a bag of low gain NPNs from Small Bear, and that was the first one I grabbed.  I think it's 67 hfe with pretty low leakage iirc.

-I had an NOS BC109 in Q2, but I somehow killed it between rocking and boxing.  I replaced it with a BC109b from Tayda and honestly can't tell a difference.

-The pcb and logo plate were both colored as in  This tutorial  Really worked great, and surprisingly the color didn't run when I clear coated it.

-I cut the hole in the box and the piece of copper clad with a hole saw-I think 1-1/2".  I thought I'd ruined the box because it skated all over when I was cutting it.  It's not perfectly round, or perfectly centered, but it's close enough, I guess.  I cleaned it up with a Dremel, and it didn't look quite so gnarly after the powder coat.

-I mounted washers with JB Weld to support the logo plate.  The plate is hot glued in place.  I mounted the LEDs in a piece of Lexan, hot glued it to the back of the logo and covered it all with Liquid Tape.  That is nasty stuff  :P

-There's also an LED light plate on the bottom.

I didn't even think about the Mortal Kombat thing until somebody pointed it out to me later today.  Wish I'd thought of that because I totally would've used that logo 8)

I'll try to get a demo done tomorrow if I have time.  Maybe I'll get in the April contest.

Thanks again for all the comments.  It's very much appreciated  :)