News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More phasery sound from a smoothie

Started by jimilee, December 30, 2012, 12:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

The tonepad Ross phaser KILLS the phase 90 if you ask this phaser junkie. Really the extra stages for the Ross are not necessary IMO as it is a great phaser with 4 stages. I beleive he calls it the Ropez. There are also a ton of great mods for the project. I added a "depth" control to mine which changes the sweep width for even more options.

madbeans stage fright sounds very promising as well if you want to hold out.

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on December 30, 2012, 03:24:40 AM
Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 02:55:04 AM
Wow that is a bit spend, the sound samples sound really good too. I'm looking for something a little more over the top for bass, almost like an old touch wah from 20 years ago. I heard a boss phaser I really liked, but I'm done buying commercial pedals I think.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Personally i'd wait for Bean to finish up the Stage Fright. That or try playing with the Dry/Wet mix resistors to get a more pleasing sound but it wont really deepen the phase, just make it more or less obvious.
Stagefright? I'm all ears now. I'm building a bear hug and a paramix with a multiplex waiting on deck and a Jazz bass waiting in the wings,so I have time before I'm back round to a phaser again. Anything Brian has going on will definitely be worth the wait.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jeffaroo

highly recomend a breadboard rig. with this you can build the whole damn project without a lick of solder. dont like the sound, swap out parts, drink a beer and try something else. once you like something ..... pull out the iron. This is how mods get going. cant make up your mind and want it all ? ? ?
http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/ScreamerLab/
spark any ideas?
haw about different matched pairs with a switch for each pair (just for starters)
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

atreidesheir

I find mxr phasers respond best to thin single coil signal.  Vintage strength humbuckers sound good too, ala VH, but high output HB's make them sound a lot less swooshy.  I can imagine the bass makes it even more subdued.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jimilee

Yeah it does. When I play in the upper registers I get more effect, but you're absolutely right. Looking at a nautilus ti really screw things up. I use effects on my bass to mostly amuse myself really.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

atreidesheir

You could experiment with an eq in front if the smoothie.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jimilee

Quote from: atreidesheir on January 01, 2013, 07:31:38 PM
You could experiment with an eq in front if the smoothie.
Or an octave pedal in conjuction with the Paramix I'm building,that'd be cool