News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strymon Timeline Tap Tempo

Started by rawkcraze, August 06, 2012, 12:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawkcraze

So i own a Strymon Timeline now and a DMC-3 midi controller. im looking to build a tap tempo for it so i i can make life easier. Here's what Strymon says about the tap tempo:

"Many of you have asked us which external TAP tempo switches we recommend be used along with our TimeLine delay machine pedal. While we cannot recommend any products in particular we can tell you that the TimeLine will work with any external TAP tempo switch as long as the switch is designed with a single pole, double throw (SPDT) type switch that switches the TIP between the SLEEVE (ground or 0VDC) to the RING (5VDC).

If you are unsure whether or not your TAP tempo switch provides these specs we kindly ask that you please contact the manufacturer of that switch for more information."

so from that i need a stereo 1/4", and spdt momentary switch.
then i hook up the Sleeve to the middle pin, and the tip and ring to opposite sides, correct?
also, is it possible for me to just use a spst momentary and have the Ground to 1 side and the Tip and Ring have diodes towards the other side? the spdt i have right now is pretty loud to stop on.

Thanks!
Rawk~

jkokura

Close. Tip goes to middle lug. When the switch is pressed, whichever outside lug is active, thy lug needs to connect to ring. The last lug goes to ground/sleeve.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Roctopus

Rawk, did you ever get this to work? I have a Strymon Timeline as well and want to build an external tap tempo for it. I have a stereo 1/4" jack and a SPDT momentary switch. I made the same connections suggested previously but with no affect.

Are there any special settings that you have to set on your Timeline in order for it to work?
Do you have to use a stereo (TRS) 1/4" cable from your Timeline to tap tempo pedal?
How do I tell if my SPDT momentary switch is "Normally Open" or "Normally Closed"?
What can I do if I only have a "Normally Closed" SPDT momentary switch?

Thanks,
Roctopus

slacker775

To test for normally open/closed, jut check continuity between the lugs when not pushing the switch.  If you have continuity, it's normally closed.

madbean

This is a great idea....I think I will make one for mine. I have just the right switch too!

Roctopus

Thank for the help guys. I got it working now!

For anyone else who might stumble upon this same issue I wanted to finish out my experiance. (please see previous comments in thread)

I use a SPDT momentary switch and a Stereo (TRS) 1/4" jack. I wired the Tip of the stereo jack to the center lug of the spdt switch, the Sleeve to the left lug, and the Ring to the right lug.

I also used a Stereo (TRS) 1/4" cable to connect my tap tempo pedal to the Strymon Timeline via the EXP jack on the back of it.

Lastly, I adjusted the setting on my Timeline. Here's what I did...

1. Press and hold the Value knob until it reads "GLOBALS" (plural)
2. Using the Value knob scroll to "Tap".
3. Press the Value knob again and choose "GLOBAL" not "PRESET"
4. Exit the "Tap" feature and scoll over to "EXP MD"
5. Press the Value knob again and choose "Tap" not "PEDAL"

Hope this helps :)

Roctopus