News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FatPants 2012 ed.

Started by sirbergersworth, June 23, 2012, 12:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirbergersworth

Just finished my first madbean pcb build. Great quality board.
I have built 4-5 other pedals from ggg, etc.
Wiring is messy but it sounds excellent. That body switch has some serious juice. I love the flavors I can get with the fat knob (which I call "Range"). From sweet thin to extremely Fat.
Mostly stock with only a few value subs where I couldn't get the exact value at the surplus store here.
The paint was just thought up while I was doing it. and I used some foam letter stickers of my daughters for the masking of the EP.
I am trying to decide on knobs. which do you like?

"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

mgwhit

Cool paint job and great idea regarding the masking!

greyscales

Nice build! I look forward to building up one of these soon.
You gotta go with the big silver knobs. Everyone knows they have more mojo.  ;)

midwayfair

Spiffy paint job! Stripes are very classy. You might consider moving the white washer inside so that more of your star shows.

I like the black pointer knob with that paint job, but that silver knob *is* very nice.

sirbergersworth

Thanks everyone.
I removed the plastic washer completely and now just have the nut on the outside. for some reason I didn't have a flat washer that size. I thought it came with one.
I updated the gut shot in my original post.
It was a fun build with only one hiccup. I had a solder bridge on my offboard wire joint on PCB. easy fix.
I considered rewiring again to have shorter lengths but it sounds great so I am leaving it alone for now. great booster and a fun project.
One thing you cant see is that I had one PCB mounted 16mm pot and one lug style 16mm pot. I created a PCB mounted pot with it using some clipped leads off of some resistors, etc. Worked well and seems stable enough. I don't think I would do both pots this way but the PCB mounted pot was one of those beefy little guys. And I have the customary sheet of heavy paper between board and back of pot.
Here is what she looks like now, not sure if she will keep these knobbies but they are cool.

-Robert Hunter

nzCdog

bigrigg

congrats on your first MB build.  I have a 2012 Fat Pants ready to box up myself.  Hopefully it gets as much praise as yours.  Keep them coming.  Silver knobbies look good on that box.  A little splash of red somewhere and it's very "USA"

sirbergersworth

Quote from: bigrigg on June 23, 2012, 01:45:29 PM
congrats on your first MB build.  I have a 2012 Fat Pants ready to box up myself.  Hopefully it gets as much praise as yours.  Keep them coming.  Silver knobbies look good on that box.  A little splash of red somewhere and it's very "USA"

Thank you.
I can't wait to really put this through its paces.
-Robert Hunter

mgwhit

My bandmates usually enjoy checking out the pedals I build, but the FatPants is the only one they've stolen.  Just got a FP2012 in the mail this morning -- can't wait to get one back on my board.

sirbergersworth

After spending a good bit of time with the fp I am extremely pleased. Sound is so detailed, much more than I expected. That body switch is hot and the overdrive with it is fantastic. I am thinking I should build another with the body switch as a footschwitch. That would make this pedal perfect IMHO.
-Robert Hunter

madbean

I'm really happy to hear people are pleased with it. I love it when simple designs work out like this!

sirbergersworth

I have tell you again how much I like this pedal. I really can't find a bad sound on this thing.
I have to rehouse and put hot switch on a foot switch. That would be easy enough , but could I replace a resistor with a pot and have a variable distortion pot? With that pot only active in hot mode.
Thank you again for such a wonderful design!
Merry Christmas!
-Robert Hunter

hammerheadmusicman

I can't find the link, (i swear i saw them on an eBay shop..) but you can get clear washers the same as the white ones, which protect the paint from the nut, and still see the star :)

Nice build man, Good work..

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Stomptown

Great build! I personally like the Boss style knobs most but the big chrome ones are a close second. I like the creativity with the enclosure and it does look awesome with the white washer on the inside. Congrats and welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the stuff over at 1776 effects too. There is some great stuff over there that I found via this site...