News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ic switching on pt2399 delays

Started by garfo, January 25, 2013, 04:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

So,i,ve made a mod of replacing tl072 ic's with better equivelants(cant remember which ones at the mo).
Is it ok to replace the tl072 and tl062 with better quality equivelants;plus, aren't 062 and 072 doing the same thing?

midwayfair

TL072 is perfectly good chip. What exactly are your goals and reasons for replacing it? What led you to believe that they were "better" here?

There are Burr Brown OPA chips that will work as a direct replacement for Tl072 most of the time. Their main design feature is that they cost twenty times as much.

garfo

Sorry,i didn't clearly finish my thought,my bad.So,this idea comes from a tremulus lune that i have build.i've fllowed a mod suggestion and replaced tl072 with a lm4562, and also replaced ic 2 on this project with a jr4558d.
So, my point is actually more of a question than anything else.
Quote from: midwayfair on January 25, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
TL072 is perfectly good chip. What exactly are your goals and reasons for replacing it? What led you to believe that they were "better" here?

There are Burr Brown OPA chips that will work as a direct replacement for Tl072 most of the time. Their main design feature is that they cost twenty times as much.
[/quot

gtr2

I don't get hung up on IC's.  Sometimes an IC can make a discernible difference in an overdrive, but for the most part I cannot tell a difference between similar opamps in a guitar pedal.  It's different for something like a headphone amp where you have a much broader frequency range than a guitar.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on January 25, 2013, 05:46:31 PM
I don't get hung up on IC's.  Sometimes an IC can make a discernible difference in an overdrive, but for the most part I cannot tell a difference between similar opamps in a guitar pedal.  It's different for something like a headphone amp where you have a much broader frequency range than a guitar.

Josh

Sometimes there are discernable benefits even in "clean" pedals. I don't want to make it sound like I was bashing the idea of trying out different op amps sometimes. In the Lovesqueeze, the biasing network is more appropriate for an NE5532 than a TL072 and it's an extreme improvement over the original design to use the NE chip. In the Tri-Vibe, the TL072 has a volume drop whereas the NE5532 does not. I like using BB op amps in high voltage circuits because I don't want to have to pull the chip if it blows. But in the Engineer's Thumb, for instance, you will break the machine if you use anything other than a TL072 or BB fet op-amp, so you can't substitute there.

It's just a knee-jerk reaction for me whenever someone posts a question about "better" substitutions for an op amp (or transistor, or FET, or cap type, or diode, and so forth ...) without context.

garfo

I see what you mean.I was struggling to write on my smart phone and I didn't realize that my message wasn't as clear as I wanted to.So, basically, I was acctually asking since I'm not veru advanced in electronics.
Quote from: midwayfair on January 25, 2013, 06:15:28 PM
Quote from: gtr2 on January 25, 2013, 05:46:31 PM

Josh

Sometimes there are discernable benefits even in "clean" pedals. I don't want to make it sound like I was bashing the idea of trying out different op amps sometimes. In the Lovesqueeze, the biasing network is more appropriate for an NE5532 than a TL072 and it's an extreme improvement over the original design to use the NE chip. In the Tri-Vibe, the TL072 has a volume drop whereas the NE5532 does not. I like using BB op amps in high voltage circuits because I don't want to have to pull the chip if it blows. But in the Engineer's Thumb, for instance, you will break the machine if you use anything other than a TL072 or BB fet op-amp, so you can't substitute there.

It's just a knee-jerk reaction for me whenever someone posts a question about "better" substitutions for an op amp (or transistor, or FET, or cap type, or diode, and so forth ...) without context.