News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Christmas Build #1 - Target Fuzz - Snack Shack

Started by eldanko, December 07, 2012, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

In an effort to thin the ever-growing herd of unboxed PCBs littering my desk, I've decided to give pedals to a few friends for Christmas.  I named the first of these the "Target Fuzz" after an inside joke I have with a buddy regarding where he apparently buys all of his clothing.  It's a Snack Shack, etched by Keefe, with the most mojo-y parts I happened to have on hand at the moment.  Transistors are 2N3904 and BC182L, per the BOM.  Sounds massive, and actually plays great with the volume rolloff.  It's not terribly gradual; in fact, the fuzz backs off almost immediately into this very meaty overdrive tone.  Almost don't want to give it away...  ;D

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

gtr2

looks great!  what are you clear coating with?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Clean as a Whistle inside and out.

Love it!

.... I say keep it and make another  ;)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Quote from: gtr2 on December 07, 2012, 04:43:53 PM
looks great!  what are you clear coating with?

I was using this:

But for these builds, I decided to try this:

The Valspar has a better spread spray-wise and doesn't seem to gunk up as much.  Both look pretty great and protect well.

Quote from: raulduke on December 07, 2012, 04:53:34 PM
.... I say keep it and make another  ;)

Always the temptation, isn't it?   ;)

studiodunn

I love the look of the sanded box with opaque decal. Very nice.

Is it waterslide?

eldanko

Quote from: studiodunn on December 07, 2012, 05:56:54 PM

Is it waterslide?

Yeah, not sure if I'll ever graduate past waterslide at this point... I get good results, I suppose.

Funny you mention that - almost half of my recent builds have been clear decal over sanded/polished boxes... really getting attached to that look for some reason, despite having done more complicated stuff in the past.  The metallic sheen that shows through a printed clear decal just looks cool as hell if you print and finish it right.  Stay tuned for the compressor I should have done next week, as it's a great example of that sort of thing...

G.G.

studiodunn

Quote from: eldanko on December 07, 2012, 06:00:34 PM
Quote from: studiodunn on December 07, 2012, 05:56:54 PM

Is it waterslide?

Yeah, not sure if I'll ever graduate past waterslide at this point... I get good results, I suppose.

Funny you mention that - almost half of my recent builds have been clear decal over sanded/polished boxes... really getting attached to that look for some reason, despite having done more complicated stuff in the past.  The metallic sheen that shows through a printed clear decal just looks cool as hell if you print and finish it right.  Stay tuned for the compressor I should have done next week, as it's a great example of that sort of thing...

You get GREAT results!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you printing with - ink or laser jet?

I always seal my waterslide with enamel which makes a laquer top coat no bueno.
I obviously have lots to learn...........

eldanko

Inkjet, then sealed with Krylon, then the lacquer (after the decal has been applied).  Never had a problem with the Krylon/lacquer interacting.  Occasionally the lacquer will get this interesting "cracking" going on with black ink - only the black - but after a few coats of lacquer, it takes on a very subtle texture and you can't even tell it's there.  You can actually make it out in this picture, a little 2in1 drive I did for a fella:  

nzCdog

hammerheadmusicman

The decal looks awesome dude! How did you do it, Inkscape? How did you the red to be opaque?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

midwayfair

Nice build, Dane. I especially like how the guts were done with the cliff jack thingies. Did you use putty or is the board held by the pot and the ground wire?

eldanko

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 08, 2012, 10:35:41 AM
The decal looks awesome dude! How did you do it, Inkscape? How did you the red to be opaque?

I live in Illustrator, actually!  The red is just inkjet on a clear decal.  As long as your enclosure has some shine to it, it'll look quite nice - especially under lights.

Quote from: midwayfair on December 08, 2012, 02:39:33 PM
Nice build, Dane. I especially like how the guts were done with the cliff jack thingies. Did you use putty or is the board held by the pot and the ground wire?

Thanks!  I usually don't spring for those jacks, but I happened to "inherit" some from a buddy and thought I'd use 'em in these builds.  Yep, board is held by the mounted pot.