News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need hints: diodes for Kingslayer

Started by Vallhagen, November 18, 2012, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Awright you beautiful forumites:)

I have finally decided to build up my Kingslayer... I am starting to populate the board as i type. Geez, its been in my drawer for many weeks. Funny how things and inspiration for other stuff can change the order of things. Not necessarily in a bad way though:)

Anyway... i dont really have the patience to try out all possible alternatives when it comes to diod choice for D2-D3 and D8-D9. And also, i dont keep too many alternatives here at hand, but i have a few:

1N914 / 1N4148
1N400X
1N34A
BAT46
AA112
9.1V Zener (never heard of anyone using them as clippers... would i be the first ::) ?)
LED-s of different colors (does color really matter? )
BS170 MOSFET transistors.

...Which setup would you choose from them alternatives?

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

midwayfair

For D2, D3, use the 1N914s or the MOSFETs. (I used a MOSFET on one side and a MOSFET + BAT41 on the other side and I really liked that.) As Brian notes in the build document, you want something in the silicon range.

For D8/9 I really think that either any silicon or two silicon diodes in series is the best choice. I know Brian recommends LEDs, but I found LEDs to not be highly distinguishable from the diode lift. However, they're the best choice if you want a sound very similar to the diode lift BUT you want to be able to turn the gain all the way up to get the largest possible mid-hump.

Vallhagen

Thanx Jon. Exactly the answer i looked for. "Do like this", based on experience.

Cheers

eldanko

Quote from: Vallhagen on November 18, 2012, 07:29:54 PM

9.1V Zener (never heard of anyone using them as clippers... would i be the first ::) ?)

I actually have a pair of Zeners in my Green Bean build.  They sound epic in that circuit.  I can't remember which part number off the top of my head, but they're certainly worth experimenting with.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Vallhagen

Quote from: eldanko on November 20, 2012, 03:15:44 AM
Quote from: Vallhagen on November 18, 2012, 07:29:54 PM

I actually have a pair of Zeners in my Green Bean build.  They sound epic in that circuit.  I can't remember which part number off the top of my head, but they're certainly worth experimenting with.

Cool to know. I will keep that in mind til next OD build. This kingslayer ended up without zenerclippers though:)

Cheers

GhostofJohnToad

I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I just completed my Kingslayer and I can say I LOVE 1n60s in both the D2 and D3 spots.  I tried the BAT46 and found them to be alright, but the 1n60s was just the sound I wanted.  I pulled the ones I had from an old 70s am/fm radio I had in pieces.  The 3mm Red LEDs I'm still not happy with.  They seem very harsh and raspy to me. 

Jimihendrix1987

Hi ! Just found the kind of topic I was looking for... Tips to choose diodes in the kingslayer project !

I entered in the DIY world 3 years ago and thus I don't understand many electronic terms. For instance, Jon suggested using MOSFET transistors as diodes in series with a BAT 41.

How do you use a transistor as a diode? Which two leads do you have to use?

Jon could you draw a picture about connecting diodes in series + diodes an transistors in series ? I'm very interested in your findings !

Cheers

Vallhagen

Glad to see this thread as useful recommendations for more ppl than me:)

jimihendrix1987:

Jumper (solder together) the gate and source on your MOSFET transistor; voila, you have a diod with source = anode and drain = cathode.

Hope it makes sence:)

Cheers

Jimihendrix1987