News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using paint pens for labeling?!@#

Started by DutchMF, October 27, 2012, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Hey guys,

Just did my first attempt at labeling the controls on one of my builds (this one:http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3902.0) and the results are such that I'm not even going to show them to you.... I took all the right precautions, like cleaning and de-greasing the surface before painting, I didn't drink so my hand was steady and it still looked like crap!

Any tips?
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Pvt. Parts

I can suggest you to look into laser labeling on metal.
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt

sgmezei

Its tough man. I wish my writing was neater, I know how you feel. I just accepted that its going to look like I labelled it by hand. Think of it as the hand done touch or flair. A person did it. Not a machine.

But you can always sand her down and try it again. I did that a few times and it is a ton of work.

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on October 27, 2012, 04:14:22 PM
Hey guys,

Just did my first attempt at labeling the controls on one of my builds (this one:http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3902.0) and the results are such that I'm not even going to show them to you.... I took all the right precautions, like cleaning and de-greasing the surface before painting, I didn't drink so my hand was steady and it still looked like crap!

Any tips?

Which paint pens did you use? And were you drawing on a gloss surface? Gloss will always cause problems; I suggest a light coat of modge podge or something similar to keep the paint from running.

However, I'm going to go ahead and say as someone who used to use paint pens that switching to a brush and acrylic model paints was a massive improvement. It's actually easier, because the lines are finer, and the paint is far higher quality -- and won't run when you clear coat.

DutchMF

Thanks guys,

I totally expected it to look like it was done by a person, but the lettering is really inconsistent-looking. By that I mean the thickness of the paint, not the shape of the actual letters..... I'll go and try your modge-podge tip, Jon, that seems like a good idea. Maybe I should have started with a pedal that I'm not using on a daily basis, I can only imagine what the band is going to say when I take it to rehearsal tomorrow... But since it's ruined already, I can always sand her down and keep experimenting!
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

timbo_93631

Everytime I have tried to label a powdercoated enclosure with a paint pen it has been a nightmare, so I won't do label powdercoated enclosures that way anymore if I have one supplied by the buyer for custom work.  I paint my own stuff so after sanding with 400 grit paper to scoff the surface the paint pen works really good.  Gotta make sure you shake them really good too.  The little ball has to be rolling free inside then 1 or 2 minutes of shaking to get everything mixed right.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

lincolnic

Yeah, I label all my pedals with a paint Sharpie, which is one reason why I'm always reluctant to post them here!

ProTip: Have some strong rubbing alcohol and paper towels ready when you label - if something gets screwed up, you'll be able to wipe it off if you do it immediately.

derevaun

Switching to a brush is a good idea. I'd practice lettering on glossy paper for a page or so first, to get a feel for how much pressure to (not) use--it can be very different from using a pen. A #1 Sable-type brush with India Ink or Acrylic lettering ink are good for practicing pedal-size lettering.

whitebread47

I've used paint pens a number of time with what I would consider mild-moderate success; that is, you can tell what it is but not to the point of looking ghastly IMO.  My lettering always looks home made, but I consider that part of the charm as another posted mentioned.

I personally cannot and never could get a feel for paintbrushes.  I've always drawn and am relatively talented with a pencil, but I make utter crap with a brush; I've tried and taken many art classes.  In essence, YMMV.

Most important IMHO is good visuospatial skills.  Knowing how to make the lettering and such symmetrical and not lopsided or uneven.  If I take my time, I can do quite well, but there have been other, rushed attempts (pictured below) that should have been assessed more prior to taking a pen to it.

FWIW, I don't clear coat over it; I'm kind of scared to.  But, I've had no issues of it rubbing off unless doing so deliberately and I've found it adheres to a prepainted enclosure like from Mammoth or PPP quite well.  I've pretty much exclusively used Sharpie silver or gold, but just did one with some paint pens I found at Hobby Lobby that are available in more colors.

Here are some examples:

Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell