News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Electronics Order "Review"

Started by chromesphere, March 13, 2012, 11:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Okay, so my fourth order came in, in excess of 7000 pieces, got it in 10 days.  Doing a quick count, it looks like they got the order almost completely right, with the exception of being short 10 resistors.  So on a $570 order, they were off by $0.10.  Pretty good performance in my books.  Just placed another order for enclosures and pancake jacks.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

chromesphere

Oh yeah!  I made a 'part 2' Tayda Review video, includes a bunch of stuff i didnt order in the last video. 

2 things I probably wouldnt touch. First is their PCB.  Its horrible. The boards chips and breaks as the drill bit its.  It will work, probably, but it looks REALLY bad.

The second is the Led bezels.  The reason i dont like them is because, If you push down on the led on the front of the stompbox, the led would push out the plastic stopper on the back of it quite easily, and the LED would fall out.  I got around this in my latest build by using a fair bit of glue from the gluegun to stop the led / stopper from coming out, if i / someone was to push the LED on the front of the stompbox.  It doesnt take much force to push it out either.

The review (part 2):

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

Hmmm.  I have good experiences with Tayda personally.  Never had any mixups in  my orders and as a general rule I find their products as pretty good quality at good price.  I use thier pcboards and bezels and don't have a problem with them... I find their pc board actually better than the stuff I have got through Jaycar, and the bezels as good as more expensive ones I've purchased elsewhere.

Just felt it important to give 2c with all these opinions are being expressed.

chromesphere

Really nzCdog? (PCB) Maybe its my drill bits or something...has your tayda pcb chipped / cracked as the drill bit exits?  I've never had that problem with jaycar PCB before...I think the jaycar stuff is more fiberous...im not sure the tayda PCB is actually fiberglass.  Im interested to give it another go now, maybe i was being to forceful with the drill press.

I have to disagree with the bezels though.  Those little plastic stoppers do nothing to stop the led from being pressed down.  It's a pita to have to gluegun them down imo.
Paul

alanp

The sharp edge on the Tayda bezels are to stop people sticking their fingers in them  ;) more seriously, I didn't realise what the plastic bungs were for until about the four or fifth pedal. My compressor has masking tape holding the LED in  :-[
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Hey bro, its only my opinion.  :)   I haven't read this thread through, but I'm sure it's been mentioned that Tayda is a cheap and cheerful merchant, not the high quality & high price type.  Thus my expectations and opinions are moderated to that context.

Never had any board drilling problems with the Tayda and I really mean that, just in and out like butter. They're prolly not as nice as some more expensive stuff, but of $1.16 each or whatever it is they're fine by me.  And yes, I've been disappointed with the quality of Jaycar boards man, no joke, the copper surface on the two I bought has was faintly uneven and caused wasted sheets of PNP through tansfers that just wouldn't stick. I threw my second Jaycar copperclad out :(

The plastic stoppers can fall out of the bezels, but for 3c each I wouldn't care if they had no stopper at all...  Like I said cheap and cheerful, good quality & good price IMHO.  Don't think of me as 'disagreeing' with you or anyone else man, I just wanted to add my experience to the thread cause it was a different one.  :)

chromesphere

Thats odd...total opposite of what i've experienced (pcb). When i drill my tayda PCB it cracks and chips.  I might drill a bit and post a photo on here of what i mean, it looks terrible...Do you use a drill press or dremel?  Maybe the drill press has too much force and, sort of, busts through the last bit of the board as it exits...

I agree, its all about quality vs cost.  Some things are very similar and much cheaper, so you obviously go with the cheaper version.  the only thing i would say to "steer clear of" are things that I consider to be fundamentally non-functional.  An led that pops out the other side with minimal force is one of them.  But as i said early, this can be rectified with a hot glue gun, gets a bit messy but you can do it.  Or dont add the glue and hope that no one actually touches / presses (lightly) down on the LED.  I also think the jaycar bezels look better. But....hey are 10 times the cost, tayda are 17c each, jaycar around about $2 approx...so yeah...i think ill just go grab my glue gun :D

Paul

nzCdog

I just use dremel by hand... with the pcboard taped to a sheet of mdf. Bummer about that cracking, that is sooo frustrating.

Ohhh and I love hot glue, it's in just about every pedal I've made  :-[ ;D

chromesphere

Quote from: nzCdog on August 15, 2012, 08:17:11 AM
Ohhh and I love hot glue, it's in just about every pedal I've made  :-[ ;D

Its essential if you ask me :D

I wonder if its the dremel thats making the difference.  Might have to try the Tayda PCB again with less force.  Mainly so i can just use it up, i bought 4 boards of the stuff lol

Paul

Pvt. Parts

OMG that is cheap...!!! I pay $90 pesos for one 3PDT... Has anyone made an order to Mexico...?!?!?! would like to know how that turned out, since I have never made an international order, I`m thinking of putting $20 usd on the line, but have to get a credit card first  :-\

Once my aunt sent me a box, and the customs cost was more than the price of the objects in the box  :-[
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt