News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: Smoothie vibe mods? More volume?

Started by the3secondrule, August 31, 2012, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

as well as doing the 1:10 univibe ratio caps (c2 10n, c3 100n), I was wondering if cutting the clean signal (with a switch at r15) would work for the univibe type ch/vib switching, rather than using a blend pot (http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/phase45modded.gif). Likely to be any volume drop at all?

I'll give it a try anyway, and report back

Cheers,

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

the3secondrule

OK, having finished up the smoothie, I can say the "univibe" cap mod is well worth doing - gives the phaser that real vibe-y throb. It's a little more in your face than the stock p45, but not as swooshy as the phase90.

I didn't find the dry kill mod to be very useful though - the vibe was just too subtle without the clean signal there.

Also - just wondering - anyway I can get a touch more output out of the smoothie? I feel like it is just a hair below unity gain...

J

gtr2

Increasing R7 to something like 12k should give you a hair more volume.

I did the vibe cap mod on a switch, I only really notice a slight difference between stock and the 10n/100n mod.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

the3secondrule

Thanks dude! I'll give that a hoon in the morning

I did see some conflicting information regarding the vibe mods - some suggested changing c2 +c3 from 47n to the 10n/100n ratio. others suggested the vibe caps were c4+5. I went with c2+3, and it was quite a difference to my ears. May depend on the Fets though, i don't have a matched set, yet. I just grabbed the first two out of the bag  ;D

televisiondown

I'm terrible with schematics. Where do you attach the vibe switch to the board? Also, what kind of switch is it? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm pretty excited to build this one.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

LaceSensor

can someone say for sure what the vibe mods are?

I put c5 on a switch and its not that big a difference if at all

thanks

the3secondrule

c2 10n, c3 100n worked for me, as per the schem in the first post. defintely more vibe-y than stock