News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover with SAD1024/Daughterboard... Possible?

Started by Micpoc, October 16, 2012, 03:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

So, I've had a populated DEM board from GGG for several years now, and have never gotten around to housing it as it is quite bulky. I seem to recall someone making an add-on to the factory/GGG layout so that it could utilize an MN3007; can the reverse be done?  Is it possible to modify or add-on to the Current Lover so that it can accomodate an SAD1024?

gordo

Given the insane scarcity of the chips I doubt anyone would spend the time doing it. You'd likely be better off selling the chip. You could probably buy a BAG of MN's with the proceeds. :D

I will admit, though that although it's been ages since I've played a real 1024 pedal I seem to recall them being more dramatic than the MN3007 equivalents.  Might just be that they were pretty radical when they first came out and there was no other benchmark.  That said, I think my 3007 Current Lover is considerably quieter than the original EH EM.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Micpoc

Quote from: gordo on October 17, 2012, 11:01:04 PM
Given the insane scarcity of the chips I doubt anyone would spend the time doing it. You'd likely be better off selling the chip. You could probably buy a BAG of MN's with the proceeds. :D

Maybe, but at least the market isn't flooded with counterfeit SAD1024s.  :D There are four genuine articles up on eBay right now, including one in the original Archer packaging.

QuoteI will admit, though that although it's been ages since I've played a real 1024 pedal I seem to recall them being more dramatic than the MN3007 equivalents.  Might just be that they were pretty radical when they first came out and there was no other benchmark.  That said, I think my 3007 Current Lover is considerably quieter than the original EH EM.

More dramatic in average usage - i.e., standard usable settings - or more dramatic in the extreme settings? What voltage are you running your 3007 at? That's good to know about the noise issue. I purchased the Current Lover board last year and had to put the project off, and as I'm getting back into finishing some long-standing projects, this one is nudging me a bit. I may end up selling the GGG board with SAD1024 installed, but I'd probably have to make a good demo of it, which is something I'm not equipped to do right now.

LaceSensor

Hi

I would say that my Current Lover sounds different to my 1978 Deluxe original with SAD1024.
However, its more hifi, and really sounds excellent, just in a slightly differnet way.
The old ones are magic I think, something cool about them
Save the SAD1024 for fixing an old classic, rather than hacking a perfectly serviceable mn3007 project.

You could see if there are any sad1024 boards for the ADA flanger project floating around, that would be a worthy use of it. The ADA kicks the shit outta any flanger ive tried. Granted I havent tried the Fox TZF.... bucket list ....

Scruffie

I think there'd be more difference between a SAD1024 mistress and A/DA, the A/DA used the two halves of the SAD in parallel to get higher fidelity where as the Mistress just used half, by buffering the 1024 stages of an MN3007 I think it acts more like a parallel SAD. Hence that lower fidelity charm you probably hear.

Also, can't be sure if there was any change between 77 & 78 (EHX liked to keep redesigning things) but the 77 deluxe schematic is actually different to the design in the current lover which is based off the 9V big muff style enclosure pedal.

To the point at hand though, I agree, don't waste that SAD1024, either sell it/use it for a repair job and 3007 daughter board the GGG board or sell the set to someone.

And the market may not be flooded with counterfeits but it does have its fair share of dud chips, they were a little more sensitive than the panasonics (not as bad as 512Ds or 4096s though).
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

I started with 9V and it sounded pretty crappy, although I never spent any time getting it dialed in.  When I went to 15V it was a game-changer and getting biasing done was a snap.  I used it on a few tunes today and it sounded really nice.  I tend to use it as a chorus that doesn't sound really "chorus-y" if that makes any sense.

I remember getting a shipment of Small Stones into the music store I worked at in 1977-78 (Gordie Brandt's Music if there's any Canadians out there) and it was interesting that no two of them sounded the same and at least half of them came back as dead or dying.  Point is that EH tended to use whatever they had for parts and the construction quality was iffy at best.  Still, there was a certain amount of magic involved and if you could keep them together (especially on the road) they were insanely cool.  There was a reason that you didn't see an awful lot of them on touring band's rigs.  This little CL that I've made is light years ahead of anything that EH has ever produced in terms of build quality and I suspect it will out-live me by a long shot.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Micpoc

Alright, I'm convinced: I will hold onto or sell the SAD1024 at some point in the future, and proceed with the 3007 CL build sans daughterboard.

Effectsiation

I'm getting a little confused by reading this thread, but isn't the "Current Lover" based on the Non-Deluxe version of the Mistress?

The one famously used by The Police guitarist, Andy Summers? I know the "Deluxe" and "Original" versions are said to sound quite different.

Scruffie

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 23, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
I'm getting a little confused by reading this thread, but isn't the "Current Lover" based on the Non-Deluxe version of the Mistress?

The one famously used by The Police guitarist, Andy Summers? I know the "Deluxe" and "Original" versions are said to sound quite different.
This is based on the 9V mistress that you refer to, in the big muff case.

The RI Deluxes were simmilar in design to this too, the original design from the schematics I have was a different circuit yes.

EHX don't like to pick something and stick with it  :D
Works at Lectric-FX

Micpoc

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 23, 2012, 12:46:32 PM

Yes, the Current Lover is based on the standard EM, while the board that I have is the DEM board from General Guitar Gadgets; both, however, used the SAD1024. And you're correct about Andy Summers, though I believe he used an SAD1024-based Hartman Flanger - itself a revised version of the EM -  on the 30th Anniversary tour in 2007.