News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non-Madbean...Jekyll and Hyde DPDT switch repair

Started by murdog47, October 07, 2012, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdog47

A friend asked me to take a look at his Jekyll and Hyde pedal because the footswitches crapped out.  He originally bought it from a pawn shop and it was obvious that someone had already done a half assed attempt at repairing or changing the switches based on the giant globs of solder on the terminals.  Anyway...I desoldered the switches and this is what it looks like now.  Looks like the pads had been pulled up prior because I didn't have any in my solder sucker. Will I have issues resoldering in new switches? I don't know if the pad/traces are gone completely or if they are there and rusted? I plan on just soldering new ones in the best I can and if there is no connection I will run hookup wire to the next pad.

nzCdog

They're gone.  Make sure its really clean before you try repairing it... get all that mucky flux off first.

I would insert the switch correctly, making good joins on the good pads.  Then scrape back the green conformal coating over the remaining trace, beyond the torn up pads, exposing the copper trace.  Clean it with isopropyl then using a component lead trimming, or piece of solid core wire, run a replacement conductor between the solder lug of the switch and the exposed copper. 
Solder it down real good, to be sure it stays put this time.  Don't put too much solder on, ideally the fillet between the pad and the lead should be concave and shiny, not bulbous.

Maybe also give it a quick coat of clear nail polish to seal in the repair where the coating was scraped away.

murdog47

That's kinda what I thought...looks like the person who "repaired" it prior had to do that with the coating.  There was so much solder on the lugs it was unreal.

electricstorm

As a precaution, I would use the DMM and check continuity on the remaining pads to their corresponding connections on the board. I have seen boards like this before that appeared to have "good" pads only to find out later that there was a very fine crack between the pad and the circuit trace therefore making no connection.

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

murdog47