News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

v3205 Dirtbag Deluxe build

Started by Axe_34, October 03, 2012, 11:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe_34

Well, apart from the three amps I've built, this one was the most difficult -- consider it a labour of love. :)

I sourced the v3205s from Small Bear.

Took my time populating and it paid off as I got a signal passing the first time I hooked it up to my test rig.

To my initial dismay, there was no delay, no modulation....nada.

The voltages all looked good, so I was a little perplexed. Then I sat down and tried biasing it again and I could hear some beeps and boops, along with some clock noise, so I knew something was happening. Eventually I was able to dial it in perfectly. I'm getting right around 500ms delay and the modulation is to die for.

There's one thing I'd caution anyone trying this build out -- biasing it with v3205s is very, very, VERY finicky. The reason I didn't get any delay the first time was because I was turning the trimmers too fast. The sweet spots on Bias 1 and 2 are extremely small.

Nothing too flashy for the graphics -- inkjet printed on some Staples clear sticker material covered with a few coats of lacquer.

Anyhoo, at the end of the day, I'm super happy. A DMM clone for less than a quarter the cost of a new one and I get to feel proud having built it myself.

Scruffie

Quote from: Axe_34 on October 03, 2012, 11:38:37 PM
There's one thing I'd caution anyone trying this build out -- biasing it with v3205s is very, very, VERY finicky. The reason I didn't get any delay the first time was because I was turning the trimmers too fast. The sweet spots on Bias 1 and 2 are extremely small.

Nothing too flashy for the graphics -- inkjet printed on some Staples clear sticker material covered with a few coats of lacquer.

Anyhoo, at the end of the day, I'm super happy. A DMM clone for less than a quarter the cost of a new one and I get to feel proud having built it myself.
I'd point out that this is the same for any BBD, especially trying to get two to pass signal at once, they have a very narrow range of operation and each is different (hence the trimmer).

However that looks great! Glad some people enjoy the V3205 version too.
Works at Lectric-FX

midwayfair

Great job! This pedal is my goal for the end of this year, so I appreciate the advice everyone has for getting theirs working.

pickdropper

Hey, congrats on getting it working.  That's definitely a tricky build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

Congrats indeed! I'm still a bit scared of this one and hence am trying a Lowrider first to build myself up. I'm impressed that you were able to fit one of gtr2's 3PDT boards in as well. I'm sure it made the wiring tidier.

Axe_34

Quote from: Bret608 on October 04, 2012, 01:54:21 PM
Congrats indeed! I'm still a bit scared of this one and hence am trying a Lowrider first to build myself up. I'm impressed that you were able to fit one of gtr2's 3PDT boards in as well. I'm sure it made the wiring tidier.

Thanks! I love his 3PDT boards. Sure saves time and wiring. :)

I'm going to try to get some clips up by the weekend.

gtr2

Great work Axe!

You should feel very accomplished, it's a BIG build.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Axe_34

You know what blows me away? The dude who first sat down and designed this thing!

Would it have been Mike Matthews himself?

Scruffie

Quote from: Axe_34 on October 04, 2012, 03:16:39 PM
You know what blows me away? The dude who first sat down and designed this thing!

Would it have been Mike Matthews himself?
A man by the name of howard davis, at least for this itteration.
Works at Lectric-FX