News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Interesting video

Started by jkokura, September 26, 2012, 01:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Bill on the new Klon.

It's surface mount. That's why it took so long. Looks like I'm still in business for the purists.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Wow... a minute in and he doesn't even really sound sure of it himself...

Wonder if he thinks he's made a mistake investing the money in to it, or i'm reading too much in to it.
Works at Lectric-FX

gtr2

Quote from: jkokura on September 26, 2012, 01:57:34 AM
Looks like I'm still in business for the purists.

But triangle PCB's have more headroom.  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

culturejam

That's a cool test rig.

Good for Bill for going SMT. I wish more builders would at least automate their process a bit more. It's less stressful, the consistency is better, and you can essentially eliminate wait times.

But what do I know? I'm just an armchair critic.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

crashguitar

I am always amazed at little solutions. With through hole stuff becoming obsolete, I was wondering about breadboarding. I didn't think to solder leads onto SMT parts. That sure is PITA, however.

Chad

Scruffie

Quote from: crashguitar on September 26, 2012, 03:00:42 PM
I am always amazed at little solutions. With through hole stuff becoming obsolete, I was wondering about breadboarding. I didn't think to solder leads onto SMT parts. That sure is PITA, however.

Chad

I can imagine them breaking off A LOT as well.

Do these guys not suffer from ear exhaustion? (you guys must know what I mean when I say that) after a while those changes they're hearing have got to be just there brain asking for something to keep it from going insane.

Personally I think he's insane with the attention to detail he's used, if he ever announced a delay in the works I expect we could see it in the following 20-30 years.

I have no qualms with SMD but I wonder if people are gunna take to this just cause of the klon name and his reputation.
Works at Lectric-FX

raulduke

I know exactly what you mean about ear exhaustion.

Its like when your mixing; if you listen to the same thing for 4 hours straight you eventually trick yourself into believing it sounds better.

I think the Klon guy may have left this a little too long; I imagine everyone who wants a Klon has now bought (or made) a clone of some description.

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on September 26, 2012, 04:09:44 PMI think the Klon guy may have left this a little too long; I imagine everyone who wants a Klon has now bought (or made) a clone of some description.

Yep, instead of riding the wave of hype that was generated around it, he chose to essentially stop making them. Very odd decision and I think he's going to pay for it in the long run. He had a holy grail pedal there for a while. Now it's old hat...

...and the Kingslayer sound better...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk