News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just noticed that Eagle has a "Hobbyist" version now

Started by culturejam, September 26, 2012, 12:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Probably old news to a lot of you, but I just saw this.

The main difference between free and Hobbyist is that you can go up to 16cm x 10cm max board size. That makes it a lot easier to make gerbers of multiple PCBs in one board file. Places like SeeedStudio will let you combine layouts in one layout order, and that saves some money.

But it's still for non-commercial use, which puzzles me. Especially since it costs $169. I know that's not a lot for CAD software, but if I'm paying more than like $20, I don't want any restrictions like that. I mean, I use the Lite version for commercial stuff all the time, but...just saying.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gtr2

Looks the same as the standard version which is cool.  I'd love to do a four layer board.  But hobby use ONLY is to restricting.

I've looked into buying the standard (sch and brd) but just can't justify the cost yet.  There are a few other programs for multilayer boards but I don't feel like investing time into another software.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Have either of you tried Designspark?  It is free, unlimited and I believe it can import Eagle libraries.

I have been trying to learn Altium, but it can't import Eagle, which is really unfortunate.  I may give Designspark a run as well, although I really should learn the other two programs better first before I start digging into a 3rd.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

I looked into it.  My time is just to limited to learn it right now but it may be a good option, I think the EEblog guy did a brief walk thru of the software in a video.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DutchMF

Just saw another thread about a pack called Diptrace, which looked quite promising. Not sure about importing Eagle stuff.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

raulduke

I'm kind of tempted so I can have a go at 4 layer layouts etc.

AS GTR has said I would hate to have to learn another package.

It took me long enough to get my head around Eagle  :D

icecycle66

Quote from: DutchMF on September 26, 2012, 04:12:59 PM
Just saw another thread about a pack called Diptrace, which looked quite promising. Not sure about importing Eagle stuff.

Paul

Diptrace imports Eagle stuff just fine. 

pickdropper

I looked into Diptrace a bit, but a couple of layout guys I spoke to thought Eagle was a bit better, even though they don't like Eagle at all.  Certainly not the last word on the subject, but I though it was interesting.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

It was KiCad I was looking at, not designspark.

I may download KiCad and give it a quick test spin.

Eagle has some limitations I don't like, but the schematics are the easiest to read!  When I see the other programs schematics it can be painful just to see component values...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer