News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking/Kl*ne squealing oscillation

Started by midwayfair, October 06, 2012, 12:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I though this was a problem "unique" to the MusicPCB mini klone I built and didn't give it much thought (mainly because there were a lot of alterations in thier board including no charge pump) until someone else described it in their recent build.

So to help us all out ... has anyone experienced this and identified the source?

FWIW, I know that it's NOT related to more treble in the circuit, and probably not related to "more gain." I've built multiple klones with a smaller treble cap and the Kingslayer doesn't squeal with the diodes lifted.

It's actually a scream, too, not just the high pitched whine of a charge pump, though I'm certainly willing to explore the possibility that a wrong charge pump is the cause.

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Comfort Player

I actually had thus happen on my test rig then noticed my sag knob was on a little, maybe 7-8volts, and my Klone was squealing like a banshee. Once I put it back to 9 volts everything was fine

So long answer, power supply?
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

midwayfair

Hrm. Rej, are we talking about the same type of sound? I got the sense that you're talking about the kind of really super high pitched sound you get from a power supply, which is then amplified by the charge pump + IC. In my case, I'm talking about something roughly the same pitch as microphone feeding back. Also, the GuitarPCB miniklone doens't use a charge pump, so that can't be it (at least not in my build's case).

My microklone used NE5532 in IC2 and it's one of the quietest pedals I've ever built. I don't think I've made one with a socket for the op amps so I haven't been able to experiment.

Comfortplayer: I use a one-spot.

GrindCustoms

Ha! Sorry, i had mis-read the MKC part..........

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/