News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TC Electronic

Started by jkokura, September 20, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I think that a real dealmaker for the Toneprint thing could be... let's call it a Stompomatic.

Instead of beaming your toneprint into your TC delay, you zap it into the Stompomatic, on stomp 1, bank 1. You have a couple other settings you heard were good that apparently Jimi Hendrix and EVH used, so you put them on stomps 2 and 3. Then you put the boring old settings you always settle for on 4.

Plug the Stompomatic before the TC pedals, and the TC pedals will intercept signals from it for switching (maybe they can go at 100kHz or something, I don't know), rather than mucking around with telephones held to the guitar. And having the Stompomatic as a separate stomp would mean having the preset toneprints for ANY TC pedal you have, rather than one TC pedal with a bunch of settable presets.

Probably a stupid idea.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mysticaxe

Here is my take, as I own both a Timefactor and a Flashback -

On the Timefactor, I only really use 3-5 presets.  I also have an external switch to bank down/tap/hold.  I never really use the hold function.  I love that I can dial in a lot of the parameters of the repeats - bass cuts, just how low fi the sound is, blah blah blah.  My main issue with it is that, with the external switch, it just takes up a lot of space on the board.  I don't use loopers, so that isn't really important to me.

If the V4 can hold 3 presets with a mechanism to bypass the presets and use the values on the dial (to me that is a like to have), I think it could address a market very strongly.  If the retail price is under $240, they will sell like hotcakes.  I have a handful of Toneprints that I really like to the point that I would happily trade a few slots on the Flashback that I don't use for extra toneprint slots (for example, I never use reverse).

gtr2

I agree...

I sold my Timefactor because it was OVERKILL.  :)  I only used 4 presets.

I disagree with T.C. releasing multiple versions of the flashback like they did but this seems like a step in the right direction.

With a price point around $250 it will be very popular.  Believe it or not the DL4 is still one of Line 6's best sellers.  I wonder if Line 6 will have a revised DL4 or just rest on the M9 and M13 series...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

I think it looks pretty dang cool personally.

I have heard good things about the Toneprint delay too.

atreidesheir

The multiplex might meet some of these needs for me. :-*
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gtr2

Quote from: atreidesheir on September 21, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
The multiplex might meet some of these needs for me. :-*

lol,

well the multiplex is definitely lofi compared to the tc  :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't see that the X4 is a big enough step up from the DL4, and I think TC (who definitely have the ability) could have given their customers more. Maybe I'm just cranky.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Om_Audio

Sadly, I think I have a bit of "glad for whatever we can get" attitude after so many years of gear coming out and always having some glaring omission or baffling design choice that bums me out. It certainly is no excuse to expect more from manufacturers. I always get my hopes up so high only to be let down in some way. The TimeFactor for example -finally- was a pedal that could speed warp delays/loops like my old RDS-8000 (like tape) and not go all digital crazy, but then the power connector is flaky and there is no MIDI of any use in loop mode. And it put my wallet in a headlock!

I agree the TC box is lacking in some surprising ways- reverse, etc.

What is even worse is when they release a new version of something and add things you love but remove things that were fundamental in liking it in the first place.
Fender has a cheap practice amp with a super intuitive looper. The new model is better in every way- new features, better sound, same price BUT they ruined the one feature I liked best about it and made the looper useless. Grr.

Anyway, it IS very easy to get cranky when it comes to gear makers!

At least there are things that I love fully. My Zombii, Macheen, Voodoo pedal power, '74 Gibson, SansAmp Acoustic DI, Neve preamps,  etc. So nice to have those things you love fully and do everything you want them to and do it well.

C

Quote from: jkokura on September 21, 2012, 06:14:31 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't see that the X4 is a big enough step up from the DL4, and I think TC (who definitely have the ability) could have given their customers more. Maybe I'm just cranky.

Jacob
Sent via soup cans and string.