News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel or...???

Started by pryde, February 22, 2014, 01:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Got a friend who is wanting a custom chorus pedal. I personally don't dig chorus much and have never built one. I have a pork barrel pcb (not sure when/where I got it?) and could use it but...

Is the pork barrel the way to go or is there another/better project out there?

If it is the PB, is the 15v version the way to go or is the 9v fine?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

billstein

The Pork Barrel at 15v is a great sounding pedal. I've built 2 now and highly recommend it.

RobA

The Pork Barrel is really good. If you build it and you've got the right IC's, do the 15V version. It really helps. With that said, I like the Small Clone better than the CE-2. And the Current Lover does a better sounding chorus than either. Really though, any of the three are nice.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

pryde

Quote from: RobA on February 22, 2014, 12:07:17 PM
The Pork Barrel is really good. If you build it and you've got the right IC's, do the 15V version. It really helps. With that said, I like the Small Clone better than the CE-2. And the Current Lover does a better sounding chorus than either. Really though, any of the three are nice.

So who makes a small clone pcb? Sorry I am in the dark with all things chorus

EDIT: I see tonepad has an etched one. Anyone make a fabbed pcb?

RobA

I've no idea if anyone does a fabbed board for the Small Clone. I etched the Tonepad version. It would be great if Madbean would do a PCB for the Small Clone (hint, hint). I'd be right in line to buy one.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jkokura

I will have a digital chorus PCB dropping soon that uses a PT2399 for the chorus.

If your friend insists, the CE-2 is generally thought to be the best and highest quality option available.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

billstein

I've built both the Pork Barrel and the Small Clone from Tonepad and they are both excellent.

aballen

Tonepad does a small clone.  Sounds great too.

flanagan0718

I'll say I just finished my pork barrel and I do dig it. It's a bit thin sounding but I'm sure i can fatten it up a bit. I did build a Zombie chorus vero board. I loved that one, nice and lush and more importantly no ticking! I'll definatley build another for myself (i sold the first one). So, both the Pork Barrel and Zombie are great builds. Can't go wrong either way.

pryde

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I am going to build both a 15v Pork Barrel and a Small Clone (etched by Haberdasher  :)) to compare/contrast. My friend will get the "better" one and I will keep the other around for kicks.

Bought a couple MN3007's and MN3101 clocks from smallbear...damn these 4 chips cost more than an entire overdrive build  :o

Jabulani Jonny

I'd really be interested in hearing some clips of the Pork Barrell at 15v.  I have an old Ibanez CS-9 that I absolutely love and am getting ready to do a couple mods to get it to Vibe territory.  That said, I never know what I'm missing by not building one of the other chorus pedals.  You don't know what you don't know...you know? :o

Jonathan

pryde

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 24, 2014, 03:50:44 AM
I'd really be interested in hearing some clips of the Pork Barrell at 15v.  I have an old Ibanez CS-9 that I absolutely love and am getting ready to do a couple mods to get it to Vibe territory.  That said, I never know what I'm missing by not building one of the other chorus pedals.  You don't know what you don't know...you know? :o

Agreed. I will record a build report and sound demo of the 15v pork barrel after I get it done (hopefully in a week or two)

Stomptown

+1 for the porkbarrel at 15V!