News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1/4" jacks

Started by icecycle66, September 03, 2012, 12:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Does it seem to anybody else that 1/4" jacks are disproportionately more expensive than other parts?

stecykmi

usually electromechanical parts (jacks, enclosures, switches, pots, etc.) are more expensive than the electrical devices. that's why companies often try to cut costs by using cheaper hardware, often board mounted.

extending this idea further, that's why software companies are often so profitable; you don't have to build anything, and your start-up costs are very low.

bigmufffuzzwizz

It's actually one of the parts that surprisingly was never upgraded despite having consistent problems with the design.
I actually really like the jacks tayda are selling, they have black plastic spacers. If you buy 50 they come out to about 65 cents a piece. They aren't flimsy like some economy jacks.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 03, 2012, 06:42:24 PM
It's actually one of the parts that surprisingly was never upgraded despite having consistent problems with the design.
I actually really like the jacks tayda are selling, they have black plastic spacers. If you buy 50 they come out to about 65 cents a piece. They aren't flimsy like some economy jacks.

I'll have to give those a try.  Some of Tayda's other mechanical offerings have scared me off (like their 1/4" plugs), but these sound a bit more promising.

Their 3PDT switches seemed OK, so it isn't as if all of their stuff is bad, it is just a bit hit or miss.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: pickdropper on September 03, 2012, 06:50:15 PM
Their 3PDT switches seemed OK, so it isn't as if all of their stuff is bad, it is just a bit hit or miss.

I disliked them..The one's I got were oxidized and wouldn't solder very well. Could've been the batch.

pickdropper

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 03, 2012, 07:36:02 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 03, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

I disliked them..The one's I got were oxidized and wouldn't solder very well. Could've been the batch.

Yeah, I am not surprised.  I've gotten some badly oxidized transistors from them as well.  Other times they looked OK.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

icecycle66

Magic, are these the ones you are talking about?
I actually bought a dozen of these last week to test out.  They are in the mail now.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-mono-chassis-socket-jack.html

bigmufffuzzwizz

Yup those are the ones. I personally like them. The only flaw I've had is when they are really tight, if you push on the lugs they will shift place independently. Not sure if that's common through all the different jacks though.