News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

oil filled paper caps

Started by pedalman, May 17, 2013, 01:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

i recently seen some Les Paul tone kits on ebay. they claim to give a vintage sound to your LP
anybody ever try them? i have a kit guitar im building and was thinking of it with those Guitar Fetish vintage bucks
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

midwayfair

Don't waste your money. A poly film has exactly the same distortion characteristics and costs a couple pennies.

selfdestroyer

I agree with Jon but... if you want to take a look at some videos of some cap shootouts I did find this thread.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/166428-mojotone-capacitor-shootout.html

Take it all with a grain of salt.

midwayfair

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 17, 2013, 03:02:10 AMhttp://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/166428-mojotone-capacitor-shootout.html

The problem with shootouts like this is they describe nothing because the user isn't a machine to provide a 100% identical signal on the guitar end, and they not only don't measure the caps for exact capacitance, but they don't even always use the same value! That guy doesn't even use the same pickups with each. This is before we get to blind, much less double blind, testing.

Somewhere, RG Keen has a spectroscope analysis of each type of capacitor under identical conditions. It actually shows the distortion any given cap material gives, and RG is skeptical whether you can hear the differences shown. He has no horse in the race and applies replicable, testable, empirical evidence, so you definitely won't want to reference this stuff on TGP or your opinion will immediately be dismissed. Some of those guys insist that a copper trace sounds causes less bass frequencies to pass than a piece of wire in a stompbox. Because, you know, electrons marching in single file or something.  ::)

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on May 17, 2013, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 17, 2013, 03:02:10 AMhttp://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/166428-mojotone-capacitor-shootout.html

The problem with shootouts like this is they describe nothing because the user isn't a machine to provide a 100% identical signal on the guitar end, and they not only don't measure the caps for exact capacitance, but they don't even always use the same value! That guy doesn't even use the same pickups with each. This is before we get to blind, much less double blind, testing.

Somewhere, RG Keen has a spectroscope analysis of each type of capacitor under identical conditions. It actually shows the distortion any given cap material gives, and RG is skeptical whether you can hear the differences shown. He has no horse in the race and applies replicable, testable, empirical evidence, so you definitely won't want to reference this stuff on TGP or your opinion will immediately be dismissed. Some of those guys insist that a copper trace sounds causes less bass frequencies to pass than a piece of wire in a stompbox. Because, you know, electrons marching in single file or something.  ::)

This +1000.

There are so many uncontrolled variables that I don't see how any claims can be made. 

Even if the guitar, pickups and playing were controlled, not measuring the caps pretty much kills the validity of the results.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper