News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii Transistors

Started by gtr2, November 05, 2010, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

I'm looking for germainium transistors for the Zombi.  I've heard it said any decent ones will work.  The project docs say:

"Stock unit originally used AC128s. Any PNP GE transistors with
appropriate gain ranges will suffice. Suggested Hfe for Q2 is around 70
and for Q3 around 110."

I can't seem to find anywhere the list the gain for these on Small Bear.  I'd like to buy from him to save shipping from somewhere else...

Thanks

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

crashguitar

I use BC558's in mine. I saw them recommended over at FSB. They don't sound real pretty, but I didn't build the Zombii for a pretty sound. I did a track for a song we are working on using it, and the drummer made the statement that he really liked it and that it sounded very 70's.

gtr2

I just found caps n such.  Might buy from there...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/FuzzFaceFAQ/FFFAQ.htm

He rough sorts each type into gain ranges. The "Paired" transistors that you see in the stock list that are labeled as Fuzz Face audited usually have gain of q1 ~ 80 and q2 ~ 130. I ordered a pair of OC140's for a '69 clone and the gains were right in that range. He also writes the specific gain values on the plastic envelope as well as on a piece of paper with correct bias resistor values for FF type circuits. These transistors would be more than adequate for a Zombie.   

gtr2

Thanks Jake, I'm already gonna get an order from there so that will work well!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

lincolnic

For what it's worth, you can also order in specific gain ranges from banzaimusic.com, though they're based in Germany.