News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface wiring help

Started by ArchDukeOfTops, August 16, 2012, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchDukeOfTops

I'm making a sola sound tonebender with the pastyface board.  This is my second project, and I'm not the most naturally inclined builder, so I'm sure my lack of knowledge/experience is the weak link here.

I bought a predrilled enclosure with an led hole, as well as a DC jack hole, not thinking about the positive ground, and the issues that would add to the equation.

Since the LED spot open, now I want to go ahead and wire the light up so it will work.  I'm strongly considering just leaving out the DC jack, especially if that will make things easier.  I've got a 47K resistor I originally ordered for the LED.

So, help me out here, fellas.  1) is it going to be easier to wire the LED up without the DC jack and 2) can you point me to a diagram I can follow, I've found multiple diagrams by searching, but I'm nervous because they all have quirks that don't seem to apply to my situation, at least in a manner that my noobness can understand.

gtr2

The pos gnd wiring in this document will apply to the pastyface as well...

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Mangler/docs/Mangler.pdf

Josh

EDIT: sorry the mangler doc does not have the wiring for a dc jack.  But it can easily be done.  Hopefully someone will jump in with a good diagram as I don't have the time to type it out so it would be clear :) The led wiring in the mangler doc will also work for using a dc jack.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

ArchDukeOfTops

thx for help Josh.

The wiring for just the LED looks so much more simple, I might just leave out the DC jack.  I'm not using a power supply so its no big deal.  I just didn't want a whole in the middle of the peddle where the LED should be.  I think the LED without the DC diagram fits the bill perfectly.

Making sure I'm understanding:  if i hook the black battery wire to the resistor/LED, and then the LED to the 3PDT, will I not have to run anything to the 9v spot on the PCB? 

Thanks for being tolerant of my lack of knowledge here.

frankie5fingers

Leaving out the jack is certainly easier but I like mine with a positive tip, positive ground adapter (like the Fulltone) so I don't have to unplug the cable every time I'm finished using it.
This diagram is exacty wht you need and should work perfectly.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sw_3pdt_tb_pnp_dcj_gi_pt.pdf

ArchDukeOfTops

Thanks a bunch, i should get it finished on my next days off.  This is my first non-kit build.  I'm gonna try and do a waterslide decal and everything.  Hopefully I'll get some sound clips up when its done.

timbo_93631

You could just build it using a road rage or other 9v inverter board so you can have it daisy chained with other pedals and have LED too.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

frankie5fingers

I considered using the Road Rage to connect without a separate supply but opted for the standalone because of all I read about noise when daisy chaining fuzzes, especially the Pos grounded ones.  I had a neg ground Java Boost once that was awfully noisy when using power and the thought of even more noise wasn't appealing.  Does that become a non-issue when using the RRage board?

timbo_93631

The road rage has additional filtering so noise shouldn't be an issue, and in my Rangemaster I know that the road rage (earlier version though) is just as quiet as a battery as I had it buit as a battery only box then added the road rage.  jtn191 had some 9v inverter boards made that are quite a bit smaller than a road rage that I have a few of, they don't have the charge pump option for more voltage just 9+ to 9v- and a sag control.  The important thing with either board is if you are using a MAX1044 you need to get the right version.  The MAX1044SCPA is good, but CPA and others are no good because of a high freq oscillation issue where you can hear it, the SCPA's have the freq set beyond human hearing range.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

frankie5fingers

Cool.  And once again, thanks for some more new info Timbo.

Frank

ArchDukeOfTops

you guys are awesome.  I do have a power supply in my future, I can only hope I'll be experience enough with pedal projects to build my own road rage when that time. comes.