News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Furball (EJ Fuzz Face)

Started by raulduke, August 09, 2012, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

This is my take on the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face which seems to be doing the rounds at the mo.

I used an axial PCB layout for that 'mojo' factor   ;)

I don't have any BC183's at the moment (got some on order), so I threw some BC108's in there with a good hfe range for a Fuzz Face.

Q2 is biased really low (I biased mine at about 3.75V), which is part of what gives the circuit its 'tone' I guess.

It sounds really cool... cooler than I thought it would to be honest.

Nice and 'chewy' and 'furry' would be how I would describe it   :D

I actually prefer it to my Ge Fuzz Face, which is odd, although it doesn't clean up as well as my Ge face.

Anyway, hope you like the pics!

night-B

Nice pics, layout, enclosure and wiring. I love it and wanna give it a try too  ;)

culturejam

Looks good, man.

I find that wide open, low-gain silicon can sound pretty much just like germanium. But you may be on to something with the "cleanup" comment.

Maybe silicon trannies have a higher input impedance than germanium?

Raul, maybe you could try a lower-value resistor for R1 (which I assume is there as a pull down)? Like maybe 330K? Or maybe try a 1M pot and dial it down until it loads the pickups the "right" way?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Cheers Guys!

I've attached the schem I used for my PCB for reference (although the EJ Fuzz schem can be found all over the place).

Also, I used a 22pf cap at C5 on the schem as I was getting a tiny bit of squeel with the trannies I used at max gain (and everybody knows a Fuzz Face gotta work at max gain  ;) ). I also didn't stick religiously to the EJ resistor values with mine; I used the closest values I had to hand.

CJ; I'll try out those tips and see how it pans out, R1 is indeed a pulldown so I can easily stick a pot there and see what happens. The fuzz face is such a cool circuit to play around with. Slight variations can make a big difference. Thanks for the ideas!

This circuit could easily be built up on one of Madbeans Mangler PCB's as well.

Its worth a pop for sure!

nzCdog

nice job! looks great and EJ ff tone = win!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job! Your doing so many layouts, I really admire that!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals