Main Menu

Smoothie build question

Started by subcalvert@gmail.com, January 11, 2014, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subcalvert@gmail.com

(1) Project Name
Smoothie

(2) General description of the problem
Completed assembly of the board. I am testing it, but I do not get any sound through the board using an unamplified signal. I made an audio probe to see why I wasn't getting sound. I found that I was able to get thin sound through the board from my computer's audio signal, but I don't get any sound coming through using an unamplified signal like a guitar.

This is my first build, so I wonder if maybe I am missing something simple.

(3) Steps that you have taken to try to resolve the issue
I have checked the components with the build instructions, and I have gone over each connection as well. I have checked all of my cables, and plugged the guitar straight into the amp to determine that it isn't a bad cable or connection.

(4) List any substitutions you used for parts/values
none.

Here are pics of top and solder side
http://imgur.com/kmtCEDH,xXuNFTi#1
http://imgur.com/kmtCEDH

Thanks

jimilee

Have you taken any voltage readings and can you post pictures of both sides of the board, clear and well lit?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

I don't see anything that stands out as an obvious problem. Electrolytic and tantalum capacitors are polarized, so it's possible they are backwards. Can you give us the voltages on your opamp pins?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

warriorpoet

Your electrolytic caps are reversed. The stripe is the - side, and you have them soldered to the + pad.

edit: My apologies, I was trying to troubleshoot pre-coffee.  Post-coffee the electros look fine.
Mzo.FX, Owner

RobA

It looks like your electros are OK to me, but it looks like all the 10k resistors are 10 ohm instead.

Edit: it also looks like the 150k's are replaced with 150 ohm and possible the 470k's as well. Maybe I'm seeing things strangely, but check all your resistor values.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

flanagan0718

Being kind of a newbie myself I have learned to double and triple check my capacitor polarities. I've made this mistake and tortured my self for hours over it. I also double check my resistor values before soldering too. Maybe that's my OCD. As for your build everything looks OK just check those out and makes sure everything is good. I would also look at the soldering and make sure nothing is bridged.

subcalvert@gmail.com

Looking at the resistors, it looks like you are right, I have 10 ohm where I should have 10k ohm. Looks like I have some desoldering to do! Amateur hour over here.

I double checked the capacitor polarities and they look right to me.

I'll replace the resistors and if I have further problems, I'll get the voltage readings of the opamp pins.

Thanks everyone!

RobA

Yeah, I hate having to desolder things, but at least it's probably only the resistors. They're pretty easy in comparison to IC's and pots. There are a couple of threads around here with hints to help with desoldering various parts if it gets too painful. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

I have recently figured out how to use desoldering braid, watch some youtube videos. It's easy. I still use my desoldering iron on occasion but not nearly as much.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

subcalvert@gmail.com

I guess this is the project where I get plenty of experience with desoldering. Hah. I've done it a few times, but not with ease. I will definitely take my time with this. Thanks everyone.