News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser is driving me nuts!

Started by thesameage, April 30, 2014, 03:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Mouser's great, there is just a learning curve.

I always ask people here when looking for things.

selfdestroyer

It was hard for me to start using Mouser since I was not familiar with datasheets and relied on pictures (which you will learn fast mean next to nothing at Mouser). After about 15 medium orders and 15 large orders I feel like I finally got a grasp on using their tools to my advantage. I love setting up "projects" but them actually be stock lists. I also made a saved cart that is a hand full of "items I order with every mouser order" so I will not have to remember them every time.

In the long run it really helped me to understand what exactly I am ordering/needing and to learn how to read datasheets. Also, I learned to not do any 3:00am quick ordering. Due to this, I have a box labeled Misc Parts and in here is where I put all the 2watt resistors I order by accident and a few crazy big caps I got by accident.

Cody

thesameage

I, of course, forgot to order something key for a headphone amp: 1/8 headphone jacks  :)

Just realized that. Will have to hit up radio shack.  :(

On the other hand, the order that I put in at small bear last night will be available for pickup this afternoon at a brooklyn copy shop (they will do pickup if you are in brooklyn). Now that is very fast!

alanp

The project based Mouser system really doesn't work well for me -- I keep a small library of part, and order based on what I need to complete something (plus keeping basic stuff in supply), NOT based on the total parts needed for something.

RS, OTOH, have me sold on the pure SPEEEEEED of their shipping. It's like they have Speedy Gonzales on contract.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on May 02, 2014, 01:35:22 AM
The project based Mouser system really doesn't work well for me -- I keep a small library of part, and order based on what I need to complete something (plus keeping basic stuff in supply), NOT based on the total parts needed for something.

RS, OTOH, have me sold on the pure SPEEEEEED of their shipping. It's like they have Speedy Gonzales on contract.

AlanP,
Sounds like we are on the same wave length. I don't use the projects for actual "projects" but as more of a default order like resistors and caps I go through the most. When I first started using it I actually setup a project at Mouser for all the parts needed to make Rams Head BMP's and added enough for 20 to 50 builds minus pots and enclosures and switches of-course. For awhile that was all I was building and flipping so I needed to keep the order on hand. Saved me a bunch of time.

Cody