News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Mounted Pots

Started by Guybrush, July 03, 2012, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Providing you can get the correct value, can PCB mounted pots always be used instead of normal ones?

Thanks

pickdropper

Quote from: Guybrush on July 03, 2012, 12:49:04 PM
Providing you can get the correct value, can PCB mounted pots always be used instead of normal ones?

Thanks

Sure, no problem.  I've just folded the pins in (or cut them shorter) if they were in the way.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

calciferspit

Yep. I only buy pcb mount pots, regardless of how i'm going to use them. A lug is a lug.

Guybrush

Thanks guys.  What made me suspicious was that some of the build docs explicitly say that you can use PCB mounted pots instead of normal ones.  This made me think that you might not be able to use PCB mounts on the builds that don't say this.

Thanks again!

calciferspit

That just means that the board is designed to directly accept the pinout of board mount pots.

Guybrush

Quote from: calciferspit on July 03, 2012, 04:21:59 PM
That just means that the board is designed to directly accept the pinout of board mount pots.

So does that mean that some boards aren't designed to accept the pinouts?  Surely that then would mean you can't use pcb mounted pots?

If you can't tell, I'm confused  ;D

greyscales

You can't use PCB mounted pots on every board. But you can make them usable for any board, just like you can use solder lug pots on any board. You just have to solder wires to the pins or use a piece of perf or vero to connect to the wires.

DutchMF

To make it even more complicated, I've had some good results lately converting solder lug pots to board mounting using some clipped off resistor leads. Actually, the leads from 1N4001 diodes are better, as they are thicker/sturdier. Expect some pictures of this in upcoming build reports (got a lot coming....).

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

calciferspit

Quote from: Guybrush on July 04, 2012, 02:56:49 PM
Quote from: calciferspit on July 03, 2012, 04:21:59 PM

So does that mean that some boards aren't designed to accept the pinouts?  Surely that then would mean you can't use pcb mounted pots?

If you can't tell, I'm confused  ;D
Right. some boards have the pinout 123 and some 321. Madbean lays them out consistently, but if you've ever built something from tonepad or GGG you might run into a 3 knob board with pinouts lined up 123 123 321 across the top of the board. Most good boards have the pinouts labelled.

Guybrush

Right. some boards have the pinout 123 and some 321. Madbean lays them out consistently, but if you've ever built something from tonepad or GGG you might run into a 3 knob board with pinouts lined up 123 123 321 across the top of the board. Most good boards have the pinouts labelled.
[/quote]

Thanks man.  That's cleared it up for me.